Sump Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d0ublemur

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am going to sound like a total noob, but I was trying to figure out what most people do to get water out of the aquarium down to the sump.
I would rather not have to alter the actual display tank. e.g. cutting holes for plumbing. I was thinking of using one pump to take water out and another of equal gph to return the water would this work. I would also like to know what would be a good skimmer for a 30 gallon marine tank preferably one that goes in the sump. I have a ten gallon tank that I would like to use as a sump but I can buy a 20 gallon if that would be better suited to fit all the necessary equipment.
Thanks,
d0ublemur

Also I dont know if you have ever heard of it or if it is common but could I put two pumps of equal gph: one to go to the sump and one to return to display

I'm glad you decided not to use the two pumps. Beyond just having one fail, the one in the sump would have to be a larger size because it would have to work harder to get the water UP to the DT.

The HOB overflow is tried and true. Good to go with it!

The line to the sump has to be gravity fed. Then pump the water back to the main. I have two pumps that return the water. When I had my 55 gallon I used the HOB. Any plastic hosing will work. It will work fine.

Back
Top Bottom