Sump Help for Dummies- ME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really really have no idea of what sump vs. a wet/dry is so please forgive the obviously dumb questions. I'm really gonna need some hand holding for this.

So I'm planning a 125g upgrade for my 55g reef. I know to get a tank with overflows already, I assume this will hide pumps and hoses. When I got my 125g for my cichlids it came with a wet/dry filter, all hosing, the pump and overflow boxes. Here's a picture

img_1318289_0_643d7d28351029d3f641174d6d4a857f.jpg

img_1318289_1_581d23c6b73bc4c6196ca1b4d7c5d3bf.jpg

It comes with a via aqua va3600 for 4000 liter an hour. It measures 20" long 16" high and 8" deep.

Will this be good enough to run a 125g reef? What's the difference between this and a sump? Is a sump just a whole tank underneath the DT?

Lots of dumb questions I know but help!

Thanks for reading and any insight is more than welcome!

A sump is pretty much the same thing as a wet dry but could have more than just bioballs. They might have different slots in it. Or they can be super basic and just be a rubbermaid container. If you need it cheap and effective you could do one or two rubbermaid containers. They could have macro , rubble and filter in one, and skimmer, ATO, and dosing equipment in the other. Or you could mod that but I'm not sure how. Also you could use a tank and have everything together.

Well my first thought is to use what I have already, just not sure. I'm not adverse to another tank underneath if that will be even better. I don't even know how the water gets to the sump/filter...I know theres a pump to pump it back in the DT.

This is my plumbing and sump. The red knob brings it up the blue brings it down. They are useful to hide equipment and Filter your DT. The plumbing will be posted soon..

Here they are. And the box us what brings it down. Mine is not drilled so i have to use siphoning to get it out

carey it goes down into the sump from the overflow whenever water reaches the overflow box basically the water goes down into the sump and the pump puts it back into the tank so its a constant cycle

No,If you haven't got the tank yet get one with overflows built in(reef ready,drilled)If you want to keep it cheap get a second hand tank(maybe your 55)and silicon some sections into it,theres plenty of pictures here,in my profile or via the web,melevs etc.
basically you plumb your tank overflow down to the sump where you hide your heater,skimmer,filter media,more LR and macro algae,it then gets pumped back up to your DT via some more plumbing.Its pretty easy you just need to do some research and learn by others.

Thanks for all the replys guys. So is a sump better than the wet dry I have? I plan on getting overflows for sure even if I get it used. How does the water get up and out of the DT to go down into the sump/wet dry? Is it a vacuum type deal?

Again, sorry about the questions, just explain like you would to a child. lol

The water gets down to the sump or wet/dry via gravity. If it's drilled, it simply goes down the pipes/tubing to the sump. Usually people will have a refugium, skimmer, and something for mechanical filtration. Usually you have something to stop the micro bubbles from getting into the pump and display tank. The pump pushes the water back up to the display tank. The cycle repeats as the water pumped up makes the water level go over the walls of the overflow, so that water gets taken down to the sump and goes through the cycle again.

edit: Sumps are usually better then wet/dry's because of the different types of filtration. At least that's my opinion. You can have each type of filtration in your sump tank, you can hide most/all of your equipment in it, it's a good place to add your top-off/water change water, you increase your overall amount of water in the tank, etc. You can try looking at this or at this. The second link has some good info in the answer.

Ok, I think I'm getting the picture. if I buy a tank with overflows are they typcially drilled behind the overflow boxes?

If you have overflows it just simply runs over into them If you have a siphon its like you put a hose in it to drain the tank I have a diy siphon overflow on mine because I didnt get a tank with overflows and I didnt want to risk drilling it and breaking it

The top edges of the overflow are slotted so once the water level reaches them it begins to run over filling the overflows to the height you have them set

depends on what you buy.some come reef ready,tank drilled at the bottom with a stand pipe connected,the dt water flows down this and to the sump.
coast to coast overflow,tank is drilled in 3 places along the back near the top with a overflow box running the full length of the tank,dt water flows over this box and through the 3 pipes connect and down to the sump.
Overflow box(syphon type)this has a U shaped pipe connecting 2 boxes together,water from the dt flows into the internal box through the U pipe into the external box via the syphon and down to the sump.
I would go with the coast to coast which can be made quite easily with glass.I have the syphon box at the moment but intend to go to the CTC when I upgrade

Here's a picture of the type of overflow I will probably use.
front-wide.jpg

The water overflows into the overflow box, then runs down the pipes/tubing into the sump. A pump takes it back.

PS I edited my last post with some links for you.

Ok, I see how the water gets into the overflows, kinda like my cube. When the water is behind the overflow cover is there a hole in the glass for the water to go down to the filter? Or do you still have to buy overflow boxes to go over the lip?

This type of overflow is for if you don't have drilled holes.
overflow.gif

If you have drilled holes, the water just goes through the hole in the glass. You have a bulkhead over the hole, which allows you to connect the pipes.

Sorry about the double post. This type of overflow is for if you don't have drilled holes.
overflow.gif

The water just goes through the hole in the glass. You have a bulkhead over the hole, which allows you to connect the pipes.

I already have that. The guy i got it from didnt drill the tank. But i want to go with drilled on this next set up

This type of overflow is for if you don't have drilled holes.
overflow.gif

If you have drilled holes, the water just goes through the hole in the glass. You have a bulkhead over the hole, which allows you to connect the pipes.
I wish my overflow was like this it seems more fail safe although knock on wood I have never had any issues with what I do have

Back
Top Bottom