Sump Help for Dummies- ME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm still reading through that link but just wanted to thank you, it's cleared up several questions i didn't need to ask here.

But I will be back with more I promise. LOL I'm really eager to learn this thing inside and out before attempting it. I promised I would do my next tank "right" and I need this thread for that to happen.

Thanks everyone, keep the advice coming...

Any advice about keeping a large reef without external filtration and just using live rock as 100% of the filter?

Ok so now that I understand the real basics it's time for me to ask some more questions. :-D

I never got an answer as far as not running any sump or wet dry and just using the rocks as filtration. If a reactor is available for carbon and GFO why have the sump at all?

It may be a silly question but I have read online on this being done and would like to know if anyone has tried it with success.

I'll have more actual sump questions in a bit!

Thanks so much guys. I am totally 100% smarter on sumps on wet/drys than I was a day ago.

It is technically possible to run a tank without a sump. However, why would you when there are so many benefits to it? I guess its really because it makes everything easier to manage once its up and running. Just think of all the benefits. The only bad thing I can think about is cost. That would be the only thing holding me back.

If you have the tools, you could probably get one DIY for like $30 + the cost of the return pump. This would just be the general setup with nothing in the sump but the tank water lol.

Rubbermaid container(s)
pvc pipe
fittings

all very cheap

Yeah I was looking at the tubs but I want a nice clean look in the living room. I probably will go with a premade sump.

I'm just curious if running no sump would be ok. I know there are benefits to a sump but other than hiding equipment and giving more water volume what are the pro's? In a 125g I figure I would need a 40g breeder size tank, so is the extra 40g worth it?

IMO I would get a sump, even if I felt like I'd be fine without one. It would make your life so much easier. But, if you really want to run it without a sump then you really could. Also, Sump tanks usually go inside stands, so they are usually hidden. Some people do like to show them off though.

I'm not trying to avoid it for any monetary reason or laziness, I just thought it would be more ecologically closer to the ocean itself. I don't really dose or add anything to my tanks now, not even buffers. I'm running a canister filter with mostly bio media in it so I don't have to run anything really. I guess I kinda do it out of habit and for the extra waterflow.

So if I got a sump how many compartments would I need? Someone linked one above that had five which seems to be alot. lol I know I need one for the return pump and skimmer, they would share the same chamber right? The heater could probably go in that chamber as well I would think.

So what are the other chambers? I want a refugium as well so that would make two. But how big does that have to be?

Lots and lots of questions..

Here's a basic layout of something I may do.

sumpsketch.png

(Blue lines is water flow. Grey line is water level in the sump.)

Three compartments would probably be fine. Knowing the amount of research I've done on the layout of the sump compartments, I could be totally off. But, this may be what I'm doing. Pre-made sumps usually have a good amount of compartments, which I believe is 3 or 4. It's really up to you. What you need/want and what you prefer really decide on what you do.

edit: You can also add another compartment for something like pot scrubbers or something. It's really up to what you want in it.

Nice, thanks for the image. it helps so much you don't even know lol

I think the 3 sections would work for me. Just will have to make sure that all the stuff will fit in. I also was thinking on adding an inline heater but not sure if they go up to 125g. And on that note, how many heaters would I put in a sump anyways? 2? Any other equipment that might/can go in a sump that i'm not mentioning?

Glad the picture helped. Figured I'd throw it in, you never know. =)

An inline heater would work I guess. It's really up to you. The number of heaters would depend on the total water. Tank size + Sump size = Total water. The heaters need to heat all of that water, so that's what you'd be looking at.

The other equipment you would need is the same as without a sump. You just have somewhere else to put it. for my sump, I'd arrange where the water comes in so it goes through pot scrubbers. That's my filter. Then, I'd have a skimmer. After that, I'd have water going through the refugium (bacteria). Then, I'd have it go over/under to remove the micro bubbles. Then, heaters and a return pump.

(Note, the layout I just described is different then the picture. The picture is a little out dated.)

Thanks so much! I forgot the sump water has to be added to the total water volume. So I'd have to heat more than the 125g. How big of a sump would you reccomend? If I went with a fish tank and partitioned it how big of a tank? If I went with a prebuilt arcylic sump (what I'm thinking) how big? I've seen 30" and 36" ones. i don't wanna get crazy but I def want enough room to add a decent skimmer, they seem really big. My hob one is tiny lol

If I were to add a reactor where would that go? I was thinking GFO, I still have phosphate issues, I think it's in my rock so I probably will have it for awhile. Would I use a hang on tank one or is their a hang on sump one? If I wanted to run carbon where does that go? In a baggie and toss in the sump somewhere?

btw, tried to give you rep hillage but I guess I recently did already so i can't. But I really appreciate your help. This was exactly the kind of hand holding I needed.

No problem, glad I can help.

I don't know much about reactors so I can't help much there... But for carbon, I'd just get a filter sock and put some in there. I'd hold off on the carbon unless you are medicating or something, but you might need it for reactors. I have no clue D:

For the size, I'd use a 55g. You could go smaller, but it's best not to take it easy it size. The bigger it is, the more overall water volume, and the more space you have. (Right now I'm looking at larger tanks in the low 100, and I'd use my leftover 55 as my sump).

As for a skimmer, I hear octopus is a good brand. I've been looking for one recently. I'd keep looking, because I don't know a ton because I don't have experience with skimmers yet, but everybody I've seem thats had one seems to like them.

Oh, and Happy Easter! (If you celebrate. If not, no offense intended)

Aww happy egg day to you too. I'm going for easter dinner in a bit. :-D

So a 55g sump huh? thats huge. it will take up four of the 6 foot length of the tank. lol

6 Foot? I'd go larger then. =S Sounds crazy? ...You'd want as big of a sump you can get. The larger it is, the more water overall you have. That helps with any chemical problems. Ammonia spikes wouldn't be as big, because of how much water there is compared to ammonia. Also, the bigger the tank, the more space you have to work with equipment. You may fit it in a 55g, but you'd have an easier time working with it in a larger tank. Also, tanks themselves don't cost too much more if its just the tank itself (from what I've seen).

( Also, if you happen to know where I can get a 4' x 2' tank, let me know. I'm looking for a display tank thats bigger then 55g D= )

hey if you think about it pwc's will be a lot easier
instead of lifting jugs or gallons you could just siphon into the sump

Well it will be a 125g 6 footer but the front to back space won't really be there for a 75g sump. The 55g is only what 13" deep? I'm gonna go look at some premade sumps online and if you don't mind I'll link them and if you can help me out that'd be great.

hey if you think about it pwc's will be a lot easier
instead of lifting jugs or gallons you could just siphon into the sump

yeah I read that in one of the articles that was linked earlier. Not sure how the plumbing even would run yet so I'll explore that later. lol

Back
Top Bottom