Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sump Plumbing Question

I've decided to add a sump to my system. I'm planning on doing away with my HOB fuge and Remora Pro for an in-sump fuge and better skimmer.

With that said, I am working on designing a plan to plumb my sump into my closet, which is 13" away from my tank, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I have a 20L tank that I plan to use, although I may go with a 29g. I have seen all the sites with design ideas and I'm comfortable with creating the sump itself, but the plumbing is the one thing I'm not confortable with.

I'll be running pipes about 3 1/2 feet down and about 6 feet across (behind the back of the tank, to the wall, through the wall, and into the closet). Is there a general rule about angles and length of pipes to minimize bubbles and noise? Should I make turns gradual or 90 degree? I know about the durso standpipe to quite gurggling, but I'm wondering what I should know about running the pipes. Or do I just basically have to get it to where I'm going?

Also, when calculating "pumping height" for the return pump, am I calculating total length of return pipe (horizontally and vertically) or just vertically? Also, with 5 MJ1200s overturning water in the tank already, would a 500/600GPH overflow be suficient for a 110gallon tank with 20gallon sump running an ASM G3 skimmer?

Thanks all.

- Skins

Old 11-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

When using rigid pipe two 45 degree bends cause less resistance than one 90. You could aways use flex pvc and gradual bends which will minimize the head pressure even more. When calculating "pumping height" just use the vertical rise. The weight of the water horizontally will cause some resistance but not much.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
the ASM G3 processes 500 gph without the reserculating modification.. so.. that would be ideal..
brenden's pluming tips are spot on.. :P 1" flexspa has a 4" bending radius FYI.. (just so you can judge how much room you would need to bend flexable PVC)
Old 11-18-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The lower flow your sump is then the less bubbles and noise you will have
Old 11-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Re: Sump Plumbing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPete
when calculating "pumping height" for the return pump, am I calculating total length of return pipe (horizontally and vertically) or just vertically?
the main fractor on calculating "height" for the pump is the distance from the top of the water level in the sump to the water level in the main tank.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Agree with greenmaji.

Why only a 20g. I have a 30g for my 90g and I was limited by fitting it under the stand. If you are building it yourself I would look at going bigger if possible. especially since you are going to the trouble of putting it in a closet and going through a wall. This will allow for a larger fuge area and more flexibility down the road not to mention water volume.

Just a thought.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I am actually going with a 30 because of the large footprint of the skimmer. I also want to throw my heaters in there and the 20 gallon would be pushing it.

I'm also faced with the question - what happens to my closet? I don't think I'll be able to hang clothes in there. i should have room, but I'm afraid of what evaporation might do. Maybe if I put some vents in the doors.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Watch out with the heaters in sump. I went this route and they just did not keep up for me. I ended up putting a WON digital in the main to be safe.

As for the closet, not sure. If you cover the sump with the exception of the skimmer compartment I would not think it woud be that bad. ????

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure how big your system is or how big the closet is but you could have a moisture problem for sure. More surface area means more evaporation. If you actually use the closet, you might have moist clothes?

I did this type of setup on my 75 with a 20 gal sump and a 20 gal fuge in a room that was about 5x20. I had moisture issues and had to set up a vent fan. I run MH's so that might have been a factor but I lost about a gal a day.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks for all the feedback. I'll go with a 30 gallon. Most of the evaporation will occur in the main tank, but I may just install a couple vents in the top of the closet and, as afilter said, cover most of the tank to discourage evaporation in the sump (I know it doesn't help gas exchange, but it might help my clothes).

Since I'm in no rush, I'm probably going to buy everything used (except the skimmer) - so, I'm keeping my eye out for everything. It might take a while to complete the project, but when it's done I'll update the thread with pics.

Keep your fingers crossed. If it doesn't work, then I'll have a sump to sell and a hole in my wall. Not a disaster. Thanks again, everyone.

- Skins

Tags
plumbing, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com