Sump vs Fluval fx5 for Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franckler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will soon get the 75 or 90 gallons freshwater aquarium from Petco (build your own aquarium) which can come with an optional overflow unit.
Unfortunately, it does NOT come with the sump filtration unit, return pump and replacement filter pads.

I have to be honest and admit that I'd want a system that is not too high maintenance and therefore I am considering the Fluval FX5. I am really excited about it.

I am looking at getting a Tropical fish "community" aquarium with several types of fish ( around 50).

My question is:
Will the Fluval FX5 provide enough filtration/flow to be used without the Overflow system? If not, can i install a second Fluval or alternately a filter under the gravel?

EDIT: I got my answer here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/to-sump-or-not-to-sump-165406.html. Please delete the thread if you can.

Sumps are great filters, and make maintenance very convenient. They are also very inexpensive for the capacity they will filter. Having said that, FX5 filters are fantastic. They always work, filter like a beast and require no fiddling other than regular cleaning. I would personally suggest the FX5, and personally use them on my fresh water tank.

Back
Top Bottom