Sump with multiple pumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slammed500

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anybody know if this can be done? Basically I want to add a sump onto my 55g setup, because I am going to be switching to SW soon, and I've read a lot about using a sump, but I'm afraid that using only a siphon down to the sump and an actual water pump back up, I won't be able to get matching flow rates and that just seems like a big mess. So here is what I was thinking:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387858777.318884.jpg
Is this possible? Would there be anything that could cause a major issue? 99% is going to be hard plumbed FYI, and I am going to use external pumps to try to keep down the heat exchange into the water.

The overflow should drain into the sump, then a pump pushes the water back into the tank. No need for pump between sump and overflow.

Drill or no drill for your overflow?

I was just curious, I didn't know much about overflows. I just looked and found overflows that are 500+gph. I've decided to just go with a Canister filter for now.

Overflows are easy to learn. Do some research on basics of overflow/sumps before moving to canisters.

From everything I've read, they are a simple concept, but having (a little) experience using a canister (my brother's) I would feel more comfortable going that route. Plus I don't have space for anymore than maybe a 6gal sump. Just going to wait until I move to my new place and build a stand to hold a bigger sump before I go that route.

Back
Top Bottom