Suspected Tank Leak, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConVex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
8:30 pm and I hear a snapping sound. I glance at it, and don't notice anything. upon further inspection I notice a small puddle behind my aquarium,In a panic I quick remove the fish into a bucket and drain the entire aquarium. it is now sitting with 3 1/2 inches of water in it with newspaper underneath it to help identify leaks. Almost two hours have passed and Ive got nothing to show for it.

I took the same precaution with my HOB filter, filling it up and placing it on a newspaper, no luck there either!

I did have my glass lid open and my light balanced precariously on top, maybe it shifted and would account for the sound? but certainly not the water. I haven't changed the water since Saturday so it's unlikely there was a spill.

there was no water streaming down from the top of the tank at any point and the only cause of concern I could find on the glass was a tiny "scratch" below the water line. do you have any ideas?

This is also a photo of the scratch/crack (im not sure what it is and I was hoping some better trained eyes could tell me) its so small the object on the right is a penny for scale! I cannot feel it on the outside off the glass.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_4df.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_4df.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 102
that just looks like a scratch to me but its not the best picture. if you look at it from an angle does it look flat and wide similar to how looking at the corner of your tank glass looks? if so its a crack. you said you dont feel anything on the outside but do you feel anything on the inside? with that question asked sometimes cracks cant be felt because the 2 sections havent shifted enought to leave an edge.

edit: i also meant to ask have you checked all the corners of the tank really well to make sure you dont have a failed seal somewhere and that is what is leaking?

example of how the crack would possibly look
DTfqbkd.jpg

Last edited:
I can in fact feel something on the inside of the glass, and I have checked the seals thoroughly.

Did you fill the tank entirely again and look for any leaks or if it's leaking from the crack?

Did you fill the tank entirely again and look for any leaks or if it's leaking from the crack?
I filled it completely and left it over night. nothing. maybe the filter overflowed? that would be my next assumption.

Back
Top Bottom