t5 lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello its me again with another daft question.. so i have 2xt5 24w tubes.. i was told that if i brought the reflectors it would double the output of my lights is this true or do they even do anything..

Does your fixture have individual reflectors for each bulb? The reflectors are a great way to get MORE light into your tank.

If you are hanging these in a canopy I would opt for the best reflector possible for the bulbs.

Same thing as carey said. Make sure to get good reflectors, there are more than one brand out there. Make sure to do some research and see which is best for your setup. It would definitely help put more light into the tank, since it focuses more of the wasted light downward into the tank.

Another good thing to keep in mind is ventilation/cooling for the bulbs. Just something to think about.

The purpose of the reflector is to do exactly what its name implies. Without one, the light that is radiated from the tube would go up the top of the fixture and just be absorbed and wasted. By placing a reflector above the bulb, the light that would have otherwise not been utilized now is bounced back toward the water.

Does it double the light available? Probably not that much since some of the light will bounce back towards the bulb and not make it to the water, but you should see some difference almost immediately. Make sure the reflectors are clean (a lot of people overlook this and the reflectors become less efficient) as part of your regular maintenance.

There are different ones available on the market or, if you are a DIY type, you can get materials like thin mirrored glass or polished stainless steel and make one. Just be sure that ALL of the items you use are able to withstand the heat and moisture. I would recommend the stainless if you go that route and use pure silicone (like GE Type I) to seal it to your fixture.

Back
Top Bottom