T5 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommy_vercetti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a T5 fixture from Home depot. The bulbs are too yellow and I'd like to replace them with a bulb that has a pinkish hue.

My fixture is not HO, but the bulbs are 45" long. The fixture takes 2x 28 watt bulbs.

I've been looking at bulbs online and the HO bulbs are 45" long but the standard output bulbs (which match my wattage) seem to be 48" long (which doesn't match my fixture.)

What is going on here? Are the HO bulbs the only 45" T5's or are there some 45" standard output 28 watt bulbs for aquariums?

Thanks,
Stefan

You need aquarium light fixtures. The kind you have doesn't have enough power. I tried it once and all I got were dead anemones and red and green slime

fish are friends not food

I think you will find the fixture is 48" and the tubes that fit that fixture happen to be a little shorter. You aren't likely to find the type of tube you want at a HD or similar. A specialty store for lighting or more likely a LFS will be where you find a tube with the unnatural lighting you seek. The HDs here don't even carry Daylight or Sunlight tubes in T5. You will of course pay a premium.

This is not for a reeftank or light hungry plants.
I am just confused by the lengths of the tubes...the HO ones say 45" which is the length I am looking for, but not the right wattage. The SO (standard output) tubes are 48" (3" too long) but the correct wattage (28w.)
Any input?

hmmmm. try a warmer n.o. t5 that fits... or cooler? whatever... i got 1x54w hagen glo from petsmart for $74+$20 for a life glo bulb, but there is cheaper 4 lamp models at fishneedit.com ...ask mfdrookie?

I've recently learned that for reefs and inverts 18000K works amazing...but if it's for plants then 10000K is better for that

Oops...sorry just read your problem...guess im a little tired...

6500-6700k is best for plants up to 10,000k.....reef is 10,000k and actinic for algae on coirals, but mostly 10,000k is what you will want for reef tanks..i think they work good for plants and look better too.(less yellow, more natural looking) 18,oook bulbs look pink and the red spectrum dwindles out fast as it gets deeper, but shallow freshwater plants do okay(less than daylight(6700k) or super daylight-tri phospher bulbs
(10,000k)

Back
Top Bottom