Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Choose a Light for me Thread!

Please if you can suggest some lights with the following (wants)

Mandatory
4+ bulbs
Individual Reflectors
24-30 inch-my tank is 29 inches, please advise!
Preferably a reputable company

Additional Plus'

Moonlights
Separate Power supplies for Timers / or Built in Timer
Built in Fan

Can anybody give me some suggestions for something that would fall into these categories? I am budgeting to spend about $200-2xx so thank you friends!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I have 5 of these... for the money, you can't beat them IMO.

30in 4Bulbs fixtures

They have individual reflectors, remote ballasts, and you can get a hanging kit if you want. They also come with bulbs, which a lot of fixtures don't it seems.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've seen those before, it was Carey suggesting them. What exactly is a external ballast and what does it do in terms of being external :P Also is there a fan in that?

If its a good solid light then I have no problem saving $100 but what is the difference in those from say equally low cost lights like odyssea? (spellcheck)
Thank you for taking the time to answer

edit: I also noticed that you are in freshwater tanks, I wanted to keep my options open for saltwater corals. I hope that doesnt change anything
Old 07-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Some options

Current USA 30" Sundial T-5 Fixture 4x24W + LED - AquaCave

HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture: Coralife Lunar Aqualight HO T5 Aquarium Light Fixture
AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - Marine
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
I've seen those before, it was Carey suggesting them. What exactly is a external ballast and what does it do in terms of being external :P Also is there a fan in that?

If its a good solid light then I have no problem saving $100 but what is the difference in those from say equally low cost lights like odyssea? (spellcheck)
Thank you for taking the time to answer

edit: I also noticed that you are in freshwater tanks, I wanted to keep my options open for saltwater corals. I hope that doesnt change anything
Well, I've not read any reviews about fishneedit lights burning down houses... Odyssea fixtures used to be crap... I've read that they upped their game lately, but I won't ever own one.

As far as fw vs sw, it doest change anything... A 4x24w t5ho is a 4x24w t5ho, the bulb choices would be the only difference

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 07-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

(I decided to get 24" instead of a 30" which would fit my tank because I believe that is a odd size fixture and would just cause headaches later) - The man at the LFS also said something like the extra length would technically just be lighting up the walls

Choosing from those because they are all 24" can you tell me which one to pick?

http://www.aquacave.com/tek-light-t-...upply-688.html
http://www.aquacave.com/nova-extreme...t-usa-704.html
http://www.aquacave.com/current-usa-...-led-2362.html
http://www.aquacave.com/jbj-24-trini...ture-3268.html
http://www.aquacave.com/aquatic-life...ture-3307.html
http://www.aquacave.com/sun-blaze-t-...pply-2134.html
http://www.aquacave.com/finnex-24-le...-led-2550.html
http://www.aquacave.com/wavepoint-24...24-w-2561.html
http://www.aquacave.com/coralvue-4-b...legs-3026.html

I'm sorry theres so many links but yeah >< I need help
Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have 36" 4 bulb T5 HO fixtures for sale... brand new. $130 + shipping. You would have to decide if 36" is too long for your tank. I just put a 36" on my tank (that is 32.5" long) and it looks OK. The end couple of inches are the end caps and don't really light up anyway (so you are not really "lighting the wall"). I went for the 36" (rather than a 30") because it was more of a standard size and would put more light in my tank. I think a 24" would have been too small for my tank... Really up to you... You could always buy a fixture locally, try it on for size and return it...
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis View Post
(I decided to get 24" instead of a 30" which would fit my tank because I believe that is a odd size fixture and would just cause headaches later) - The man at the LFS also said something like the extra length would technically just be lighting up the walls

Choosing from those because they are all 24" can you tell me which one to pick?

TEK LIGHT T-5, 24" Light Fixture 4 x 24W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave
NOVA Extreme 24" T-5 Fixture 4 x 24W by Current USA - AquaCave
Current USA 30" Sundial T-5 Fixture 4x24W + LED - AquaCave
JBJ 24" TRINITY 4 x 24W High Output T5 Light Fixture - AquaCave
Aquatic Life 24" 4-Lamp 4 x 24W T5 HO Light Fixture - AquaCave
Aquatic Life 24" 6-Lamp 6 x 24W T5 HO Light Fixture - AquaCave
SUN BLAZE T-5, 24" Light Fixture 4 x 24W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave
Finnex 24" LED/T5 Combo Aluminum Light Fixture 4 x T5 + 9 x LED - AquaCave
WavePoint 24" T-5 Light Fixture 4 x 24 W - AquaCave
CoralVue 4 Bulb T5/LED Fixture 24" , 5 high power 1 watt LEDs, hanging kit, & legs - AquaCave

I'm sorry theres so many links but yeah >< I need help
30" fixtures have 24" bulbs.. at least, the majority do.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Actually if it is aT5 or T5HO then most 30 inch fixtures have 30 inch bulbs. I guess they decided that T5 was being used mostly for aquariums so they decided to make the bulb length the same as most popular aquarium sizes.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That's not the case for my 3 30" fixtures... both nova extremes and fishneedit fixtures... all have 24" bulbs. I'm sure there are SOME... but the majority are 24"

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com