Advice on buying an Aquarium Kit for African Dwarf Frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver Ninja

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My husband bought me 3 African Dwarf Frogs who started as frogs in a "box". I had wanted them for years because they looked so "cute", however I knew they would need the care & commitment as another pet (you should see how spoiled my Boston Terrier is!). The environment (I absolutely hated the box!), the "care" sheet & food was so, so, wrong that I threw them out! They stayed in a larger, glass, bowl until I could get an aquarium. The box is being used as a small terrarium & the bamboo stalk is in a small pot.

I researched on how to best care for them including what kind of aquarium they should have.

So I bought a Top Fin 3.5 gallon Enchantment Aquarium, on sale, from Petsmart (& a heater). The tank is a half crescent & is taller than it's wide. The frogs seemed to have trouble, in my opinion, getting to the top & I built up one side higher than so it would be easier for them to get to the top. I started with a bed of smooth, aquarium, gravel, put some small terra cotta pots on top & buried them in several inches of the gravel. I then added a large pile of smooth stones, making sure that none of the frogs would get trapped in or under them. I decided, if I want to keep the stones, I may have to glue them together because we have occasional earthquakes & I don't want them moving; squashing the frogs!

Anyway, I'm beginning to hate the tank because:

1 - It's hard to feed them. The shape of the tank causes the filter, which is on one side of the tank, take up most of the top space. Unless I remove the filter every time feed to them, I have trouble getting food to their "bowls" of terra cotta flower pot trays. I even use a turkey baster & food will fall out before I can get it to their "bowls".

2 - I can't get any good pictures of my frogs because of the curve.

3 - I have to take the thing completely apart to "vacuum" the gravel, which I do weekly because of the food not always getting to their "bowls". (I've vacuumed some of the uneaten pellets & they had white "hairs" on them. It may be fungus & I just don't want take a chance of it getting a foothold in my tank. They eat other things, too, that need to removed.)

4 - I can't lower the level of the water because the filter's minimum level is about 1-1/2 - 2 inches from the top.

5 - I'm limited on where I can put any decorations. Their "houses" are on either side, 1 plant in the middle & a large, smooth stone they like to lay on.

I'd like to buy another kit that's a rectangular, 5 to 6.5 gallon tank, glass, has an LED light & a filter, if it is possible, can tolerate adjustable levels of water. I'd like to be able to buy it locally (Petsmart, Petco or Walmart) or a reputable online company. I'm thrifty & I'd like to pay a fairly low price price; however I don't want to "cheap out" like last time.

The reason I want that size tank, I want my froggies to feel more "free range". I want to create an environment similar to what their natural environment would be, with different depths including a shallow area to splash in, provide more hiding places, maybe a sandy area, & a few live plants. (And I could add a few more friends later, if I want to -- from a reputable, local pet store.)

I've done research but some of them are half crescents. Some have filters that aren't adjustable & are so powerful that they had to be replaced it with another filter! Other comments that I've come across are that the lid is hard to take off.

I had considered buying just a tank (6.5 gallon) & adding the a light & filter. First thing I wanted was a light & the hoods I looked at would be more expensive than buying a kit!

Thanks for any advice that you can give me. My husband didn't realize how "expensive" they would be & I want this to be my last purchase for them.

Honestly, see if you can find a cheap ten gallon setup on craigslist, or just buy a kit. 10g is a good size for decor, bioload and roaming room, plus more room for plants. Adfs can handle the depth of one very easily and you'd have enough room to get even more if you wanted to. I'd recommend a HOB filter that can have the flow adjusted, or if you can't find one a sponge filter will work well too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I managed to pick up my 10g on sale at petsmart awhile ago. It came with filter, led light and cover for only $19.99

I got two ADF from petco, but they died within two days and they wouldn't eat anything. They are fragile little things.

Back
Top Bottom