The Dynamic Aquarium, algae turf scrubbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some observations since acquiring the LEDs and a PAR meter. As I have mentioned before, the Chinese LEDs were a big improvement over a 20 year old MH/Actinic system.

I am a bit surprised at how little light some of these corals need to grow and prosper. And how much some of them soak up.

Common Acros are doing well from 280-500 PAR, many of the Acros are growing well at 300 PAR.
Fancier Acros (you know who you are...) seem to need 400-+500 PAR and very careful handling as bleaching is just a nudge away from the light values they prosper at. This may well be one of the reasons, besides low tolerance for phosphates, that these corals sometimes don't do well. High flow is also needed if high PAR values are used.
Capricornus seems to like about 200-300 PAR
GSP can grow at 50 PAR, but do better at 120-180 PAR
Zoas are about the same, but really do well at even higher PAR levels like 400.
Frogspawn and hammers seem to like 200-300 PAR
Mushrooms grow from an amazing 10 PAR and stop growing at about 300-400 PAR
Soft corals would grow from 50 PAR to 500 PAR, it just varies its length.
Green leather coral liked 100-200 PAR
Large green torch coral liked 200 PAR fine.
Trumpets and most millipora liked 350-500 PAR
Clams seem to like all you can give them. At least 400 PAR and in my frag system they get boosts of 1200 PAR for a few minutes out of every hour.

These are just general observations, they don't take into account flow and water quality, which I have done my best to optimize.
Will be making similar tests as I move from Chinese LED panels to broader spectrum LED panels soon.

Very interesting observations,....I do not possess a par meter but this'll give you an general idea about coral placements In your tank. ,... Very interesting re. Mushrooms also,.where on the par meter do your own personal mushroom forest reside?

They vary. I have big ones under rocks that measure under 20 PAR. As I move higher to more exposed areas they prosper up to about 350 PAR (2/3 the way up the reef wall), after that, there are none. This is looking at almost 1000 mushrooms in this reef.

General comparison of Chinese LED panels and the Rapid LED Onyx light.

Background:

I import Chinese LED Fixtures for my business and ended up using them in my 25 year old 300 gallon reef system and a 100 gallon frag tank. They have been in operation for over three years now and I like them fine. They grow most corals really well. But my son, another reef keeper, started using broader spectrum LED fixtures like the Onyx, I really liked the quality of light they put out. When I realized they were priced just slightly over the Chinese fixtures I am using, I decided to start changing the 120 watt panels out with the 90 watt Onyx fixtures. The frag tank was first.

Shipping and delivery;

Rapid LED, the relationship with me is new, but so far they are really professional and quick to respond. Nice to really talk to somebody rather than emailing Hong Kong or another distant local.

The Chinese do not know how to pack anything. Many fixtures came in needing TLC before they went back out the door.
The Rapid LED unit is packaged really well and CAME WITH EVERYTHING you need, even expansion screws for the ceiling and a high quality hanging system. Delivery to the Midwest via ground was 4 days.

Quality of manufacture;

There is no contest here. The Rapid LED unit is deluxe. It has a rubberized exterior and is about 20% smaller than the equivalent 120 watt Chinese unit. Everything internal has been fastened down well (something else the Chinese do poorly) and the fixture is actually pretty. It is a safer fixture as well; the 110VAC doesn't go to the fixture, it uses a computer grade driver that then supplies DC to the fixture. Far safer if the fixture takes an accidental plunge. The cords are twice as long as well.

How does it look?

It produces far more shimmer than the chinese panels, which I like. I got the 60 degree lenses, I guess my Chinese LEDs were more 90 degrees, so the fixture hangs 12" above the water where the Chinese unit hang 6" over the water for the same coverage. The Onyx is available with 80 degree optics if you need the light to hang closer to the water. But Rapid says the 60 degree optics produces the most PAR. The Onyx is a warmer color temperature light than the Chinese unit. It has a red, green and UV LEDs as part of the array. The corals glow more and have a richer color to them. It doesn't look blue at all, it's very natural looking. Fixtures are whisper quite as they have 2 less fans than the Chinese units have.

PAR values measured,
This is where the rubber meets the road. This is with the 200 watt moving spotlight shut off.

With the 120 watt Chinese fixtures I had PAR;

Under the middle of the fixture:
400-450 at the surface
300 midway
150 at the bottom (18" deep)

At the sides:
250-300 at the surface
200 midway
120 at the bottom.

Not too bad.

With the 90 watt Onyx fixtures I had PAR;

Under the middle of the fixture:
750 at the surface
300-400 midway
200-250 at the bottom (18" deep)

At the sides:
500-550 at the surface
300 midway
150-200 at the bottom.

Much better even though it is less wattage. More efficient.

I will report how the frags like it later, but so far I am very happy. Rapid LED says they will have a controllable version of this light later this year that will work with Reefkeepers and Apex controllers. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
That's quite a well documented comparison,... You obviously have that passion to strive for " the best bang for the buck" and you don't mind saying what's on your mind.., anyone here who doesn't gain from your years of experience should just get up and leave your classroom,... Thanks teach,well done

Thanks Dary, in my business as a engineer I have to approach problems methodically. But this was meant to be just a general comparison. I don't have access to the other brands, so I stick with what I have when making comparisons. The more you save on hardware and improved efficiency, you get to spend on critters. Those few extra colored LEDs do make my coral stand out in a nice natural way, not blue cast at all. It may not effect the coral, but sure looks nice and that counts.

It isn't for everyone, somebody will argue it isn't as good as their favorite light. That's the Internet!

Last edited:
New pics showing Onyx providing background illumination with the 200 watt moving LED spotlight running from one end to the other on a ceiling rail. With the 60 degree lenses the Onyx lights hang pretty high. The center of the tank remains dark except for the moving spotlight. It is used for an acclimation area.

The spotlight generates almost 2000 PAR midway down, but the coral only gets this much light for minutes out of the hour.

Attachments

• image-934204792.jpg
    image-934204792.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3296061573.jpg
    image-3296061573.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image-143335238.jpg
    image-143335238.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2810662365.jpg
    image-2810662365.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1567080765.jpg
    image-1567080765.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1457654432.jpg
    image-1457654432.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Some more pictures of the main reef.

Attachments

• image-957839714.jpg
    image-957839714.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 69
  • image-26059209.jpg
    image-26059209.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image-186838797.jpg
    image-186838797.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1126485387.jpg
    image-1126485387.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 65
Always amazing to see everybody's coral fat and happy !! ... Yesterday while fishing I did manage to catch a small rock with a pair of large brittle stars on its,..one was the color of a banana and the other one was the color of a orange,.... Thought for just an instant about saving em ,..but nah,..they're back home in about 90 feet of water again.

Thanks...I agree, when everything is growing I feel that at least that corner of my world is as it should be. I am putting more effort in, probably more since I set this reef up over 20 years ago. It is at one of its high points, maybe better than it ever has been. I am getting soft corals, LPS and SPS corals all growing together. They set up their own boundaries and it is amazing to see them protect their territories.

Your tank deserves an award. The mushroom growth is crazy! I can't usually find shrooms like yours. Does it take long for them to multiply?

My kind wife buys heads of Romain lettuce for my fish. I alternate it with sheets of dried nori and make sure they chow down daily on their greens. I have noticed all the wrasses and dwarf angelfish also eat the romain lettuce. The clown fish and gobies ignore it. I had heard it was best to flash freeze the lettuce before feeding to soften it up, but frankly, my tangs seem to like tearing it up freshly rinsed out of the fridge. It may make the lettuce more digestible, but so far these are the fattest tangs in existence, so I guess it's all good.

Okay, have had the RapidLED Onyx lights for a few weeks now. First impressions:

The colors are nicer to look at compared to a straight blue/white panel. Not sure it affected my corals in any major way, but polyp extension and coloration does look visibly better I think.

The 60 degree lenses focus a lot of PAR and create a nice shimmer, but there is a slight rainbow effect in the shadows that is noticeable. Comes with using fewer high power emitters any having narrow beam lenses.

All in all, I am happy with them even though dimable Chinese panels are available for less money. The build quality is there and I enjoy the warmer color temperature.

Went to the LFS today and for some reason my normally rational mind went blank as I saw a 3" long blue jaw trigger that was fat as a toad. He was so peaceful he was easily hand caught and put in my bag before I knew it. And yes, I goggled the heck out of the little guy and yes I read every possible answer to the question of the triggers safety. Bought him anyway. I have too much coral, so I can stop him before he does too much damage, that is if he goes after any corals. The wrasses already worked the invertebrate population down to almost zero. No shrimp. So we will see. I may have to get my trusty fish trap out if this doesn't go well. And yes, I have a screen on the top of the tank openings.

No comment on the trigger although I had a thought about the rainbow effect from your light. Do you think it would help if you removed the lenses only on the colored lights? You'd still get plenty of PAR from the blue and white (with lenses) but the red, green and violet may mix into the tank better, seeing as there's so few of them. I haven't tried out anything like that but it's just a thought.

Haven't posted in this thread for a while. Over the past two years the red (brisillis)sp algae has been taken over by chaeto and some of that grape like green ball algae (volaria)so pardon my spelling. I hate this stuff normally, but it comes away in big handfuls without breaking and into the trash it goes with whatever nutrients it used to grow.

The new office tank is a green fur ball. I forgot how ugly the first weeks of a new salt tank can be. All part of the process, but someone who didn't know what's happening next would be pretty discouraged.

Back
Top Bottom