The Dynamic Aquarium, algae turf scrubbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christmas present was a cool little lens that goes on my iPhone. Posted more pictures in the showcase.

Video;

Attachments

• image-2354215378.jpg
    image-2354215378.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image-209994324.jpg
    image-209994324.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 118
Just an update. After 30 days, I need to harvest more soft corals from the system as I move towards more SPS. My softies grow like house plants. Wish the SPS stuff grew this fast!

Added new 7 stage RO/DI filter, got it off of Craig's list. The new set of filters cost more than the unit itself did... Then put one of those meters on it BRS was having a sale on. Pretty slick. But I had to add a one way valve to make the unit shut off properly.

Would like to add a second purple fire fish as the one we have had for so long is great. He is always out showing off. But I have a rule at this point, I don't add anything else unless someone dies. Since no one has died for years, there are few new fish to brag about. But I have added a few cool things to the frag system.

I have just shot some 3D HD video in the reef itself, the little GoPro 3D camera was lowered into the reef on a pole. It is pretty incredible, but isn't easy to view unless you have a 3D tv.

Attachments

• image-4246545273.jpg
    image-4246545273.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 88
Hey Greg.., I was reading in another post about you talking about your iwaki pump for your aquarium,..I assume you are running the Japanese version and not the American version.,..just out of curiosity what size iwaki(s) do you run on your tank?
External pumps kind of intrigue me but until my trusty old' mag 12 goes out I'm quite happy with it's performance and reliability ,..I've heard a lot of super good things about iwaki's but I've also heard a lot of negative things too, mainly heat and noise,...kinda funny because most of the " good" reviews cite these two points as pluses, they are very quiet and produce very little heat.,I guess like anything,there's good reviews and bad ones about the same product and you just gotta sort it all out for yourself.
Reliability seems to be the one universal selling point,..I guess it's all a compromise of needs,application and budget.

Two 20 year old pumps, well kind of. The MD-100 has been on line for +20 years. It lifts the water from the downstairs fish room to the main reef in the living room. The MD-30 is a recent replacement for a +19 year old MD-50 that started to run hot. It runs the secondary loop. They make some noise and their cases run warm, but in a fish room who cares? They are rock solid pumps.

Attachments

• image-2156997193.jpg
    image-2156997193.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Two 20 year old pumps, well kind of. The MD-100 has been on line for +20 years. It lifts the water from the downstairs fish room to the main reef in the living room. The MD-30 is a recent replacement for a +19 year old MD-50 that started to run hot. It runs the secondary loop. They make some noise and their cases run warm, but in a fish room who cares? They are rock solid pumps.

Looks like a before and after " proactive" commercial..... You surely got your money's worth outa those purchases.

The tang police are headed to America.

I have said we were on this course for years. You might think putting that tang in that little tank was of no consequence, except maybe to the tang. But there are those out there that are tired of what they see as needless killing of these far roaming fish. They don't have aquariums and don't see why you need one either. Especially if you ignore the requirements of the fish.

Happened with dessert turtles in the southwest, same can happen with fish and even corals. You have to have a permit and a inspected turtle compound before having one. Same with many native birds like owls and falcons.

If something doesn't change, surgeonfish, especially the yellow tang, as well as most angelfish will become very difficult to get. The Center for Biological Diversity is trying to get many damselfish and even clown fish added to the endangered species list. It would make it a jail sentence to even possess one of these fish, or the many corals they have identified. While they know global warming, anchors, fishing nets and pollution are the real cause of sea life destruction, we seem to be an easier target.

Our hobbies only hope is in breeding corals and fish for the trade. The bird hobby survived the laws against wild caught birds to its betterment. It was found parrots for example were much better and healthier pets when raised rather than grabbed from the jungle. It seems reasonable to suggest fish and coral might also be better when raised domestically. But if CBD gets this stuff listed as endangered, it will make our hobby very difficult. The worlds a changing...

http://edition.pagesuite-profession...D=44646b2a-acb8-4cb9-bfe8-3cf303122d63&pnum=7

Last edited:
I am going to try a test of Salifert Amino Acids to see if I can increase SPS growth. Will report back here what I find.

Added 90ml to my 450 gallon system.

Last edited:
Day 1

Already it seems that several corals including zoas are more expanded and healthy looking. May be just subjective at this point.

My brother has seen similar results with vitamin C tablets. I'm interested in hearing about the amino acid. Definitely following and thanks for sharing.

Well, after two days, nothing good or bad happened. Corals look great, no algae bloom or anything noticeable. $30 bottle of distilled water? Guess time will tell if coral growth is increased.

Still looking like expensive top off water I see. Do you know other reef keepers who report actual improvements with amino acids?

My observations are really subjective because I had no control sample for comparison. All the coral grew and seemed fine before and after. But there was no obvious change in color or growth speed. So yes, expensive top off water.

Ouch. We've all been there. At least it didn't turn out bad. My brother tried a reef specific vitamin C additive that had a buffer mixed into it and it turned most of the sand in his sump into concrete. Literally. He even kept some of it just to show. It would take a hammer to break it apart. Happened in just 6 weeks.

Some iPhone photos shot in the last hour.

Attachments

• image-3074459997.jpg
    image-3074459997.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image-1800408288.jpg
    image-1800408288.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3289749837.jpg
    image-3289749837.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 62
  • image-4093627678.jpg
    image-4093627678.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4178615116.jpg
    image-4178615116.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image-370388166.jpg
    image-370388166.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I really like the wild look vs the well manicured look,...it kind of looks like a picture from a snorkeling trip..... How long have you had that monti ? Also as discussed many times with you,.the mushrooms are crazy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom