Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-20-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thermometer vs heater

Trying to figure this out. My digital thermometer with emerged probe = 82.2f my cobalt heater steady at 80f which should I believe. Both located with flowing water. I did order a fully submerged digital one with out probe. Maybe I am too eccentric about all this. I just want the best for my betta and her temp.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

dkmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Either temp is fine for the betta. 78 or 76 might be more ideal, but the goal is to prevent fluctuations of the tempurate. That's what a heater does more than anything.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

AdamsAquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Digital thermometers and heaters cause a lot of stress for some fish keepers. Before they came along a quick glance at the old analogue thermometer was enough to know that your heater was working and temp was fairly stable. Now we can fret over small fluctuations that were not evident in the past. In nature water temp rises and falls with the seasons, the time of day and the weather. Fish don't start dropping dead. A reasonably stable temp within a band of a few degrees is fine for your fish.
I have three means of reading the water temp, they vary by a couple of degrees from each other, I just take an average to check the heater is functioning correctly. More importantly is to use similar temp water for your water changes so temp doesn't quickly rise or fall.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
ScotJudd is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, eat, eater, heat, heater, thermometer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com