Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Too much circulation?

Hey everybody,
I recently picked up a fluval 304 canister filter, that I have put on my 20 gallon tank. It cleans the water really well, and it is crystal clear, however I am a little worried that it might be too much movement in a tank that small. Currently in the tank are small cichilds that will be moving to a larger tank when they get bigger, but since they are messy fish I thought the higher filtration would be good for the water, but I don't want to stress out the fish with too much water flow. Anyways let me know what you guys think! Thanks everybody!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think that is a bit of overkill and could be to much water movement for the fish, however, if that is the filter that you have, you might as well make use of it. To decrease the strenght of the outflow current you can get a sponge and slide it over the output. This will spread the flow around and should cut down on the whirlpool effect that it is bound to be having in the tank. Another way you can decrease the flow a bit is to tightly pack it with filter media.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok that makes sense, the only reason i got it is because it was for a price that I couldn't say no too. Right now I have the output pointed at the glass so that the water is spread out and slowed a little. I also have the option of turning down the flow rate of the pump so I might do that too.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

For my bettas filter, I went to WalMart and got this stuff called plastic canvas, cut a little piece off and hung that in front of the flow with fishing line. It disperses the water instead of it all spilling out in one place. It works really well and doesn't bother my bettas at all.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

if the 305 is like the 305 and 405 i have, you should be able to decrease the flow rate right at the canister... mine has a valve that adjusts the flow from wide open, to completely shut off

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

you are right it does, but I was a little worried about whether or not this would reduce the lifetime of the motor? What is a spray bar, and would that help to spread out the outflow?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

ive got a spray bar on my 405... it is just a piece of small pvc with small holes drilled every inch or so. it just spreads out the flow over the length of the tank instead of all of it coming from one little nozzle... also helps with surface agitation

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright I will definately try that, cheap and easy DIY so I will give it a shot.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Spray bar is a good idea. You could also get a spliter. That would put two openings on the output. Spray bar is good because you can put at top of water and have good top movement. If your output has to go down in tank then the spliter might work better. Either one is cheap and you could do yourself.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of cichlids, maybe they like the flow?

Tags
circulation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com