too much filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchpea2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm setting up a 10g tank for mostly the inverts, especially hermit crabs, and then I'll have maybe one small fish like a clown or damsel. When I talked to my lfs, which is actually a good one, they said that it might be better to get a larger filter, like one for a 30g, and then I really wouldn't need a poer filter. Well, I found a great deal on a HOB filter that filters 250gph for just 12 or a 350gph for around 14, and I was wondering if it would be possible to have too much filtration or too much water current... What would you guys recommend?

Don't spend too much on things like mechanical filtration. They do more to hamper water quality than improve it if not cleaned on a very regular schedule. For a 10 gal, a simple HOB that allows for the use of carbon or chemical filtrants/resins is about all they are good for. Your best means of control in such a small water volume is actually water changes. A 20ish % water change weekly will do wonders along with being mindful of the waste producing bioload/feedings. Spend a few dollars on some live rock, 1-1½" sand bed and a powerhead or two for good water flow. One of the largest issues with small tanks is underestimating the amount of flow.

That all said, if you can pick up a HOB in good condition for $12.00, it wouldn't hurt any as long as you remember to keep it cleaned. It won't really overfilter the tank as it really doesn't remove impurities, simpley stores them. Be mindful that it can become a bacterial source in such a small tank so clean using SW, not fresh.

Cheers
Steve

Do you mean regular hermit crabs or reef safe blue/red leg hermits? I you mean the regular kind like you find at the beach, your damsel might not last long. These guys eat fish. We lost a coral beauty angel and a bi-color angel before we found out that these are hunters.

yeah, I'm talking about reef safe ones, mostly the blue legged and scarlet hermits, and ones that are rather small at that.

for the filter, from what I've been reading, I think it would be better to go with LR rubble for the media, so the filter would basically be working as a refugium, if I am understanding things correctly. So I guess my question would be more, is 350gph too much current for a 10g? if so, is the 250gph also too much? What would be the ideal current?

The flow in a canister or HOB would be relevent to what's in them. The flow rating is generally calculated while empty and without head height (for floor canisters) so once something is added to them it will reduce the efficiencey of the flow by about 1/3. As time passes and the area gathers build up (bacteria/detritus) it will reduce it even further. That said, you should be fine with just the 250 HOB. You don't want all of your flow coming from just one source. Place the HOB on one end of the tank and a small powerhead at the opposite side to create a more chaotic flow environment.

Cheers
Steve

I got my neons moved out of there, but as it is a mature FW tank, it's going to QT my rams that I will (hopefully) get tomorrow for a few weeks and then it'll come apart and be turned into SW! I am so excited! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom