Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Filtration Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyvinWolf View Post
The opinion that they suck and are not good filters, was fine. The extra unasked for instructions on how and what to use was not.

Just wanted to know what people thought of them. Because personally I can't see what kind of filtration it creates. But it does make pretty bubbles.
Hello again Rey...

Maybe you read someones else's post. I didn't say they were bad filters, I said they work, but there are better filters. Apologies for offending, if that's what happened.

B

Old 11-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #12

If you are using them why not run them in reverse if water movement is what you want

Use a power head to pump water into them

Old 11-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you all. Gave me some things to think about.

I got it just to play with, though I do like how it raises my "bed" up higher as if I had a thicker layer of substrate. I use pool filter sand btw. Just for aesthetics on my part. Love the bubble show. I have never seen how a UGF could be really "useful" as a filter system as the whole concept was wonky. Someone else pointed that out in previous post(s).
I haven't been able to dig up much on them so was wanting to know what the "experts" really thought of it.

Though if my plants send their roots down into it...... Then I can quit having to rebury them. And might be something to see with my brackish plants as I can't keep a single one planted because a certain VGD keeps everything stirred up. I hadn't thought about the plants using it to root! Wonder if I could put a light layer of good plant substrate down, then the UGF, and then some sand..... Yes I would have get into the gravel underneath at least once a yr for a good vacuuming...more like twice a yr... Hmm. Stuff to ponder.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyvinWolf View Post
Thank you all. Gave me some things to think about.

I got it just to play with, though I do like how it raises my "bed" up higher as if I had a thicker layer of substrate. I use pool filter sand btw. Just for aesthetics on my part. Love the bubble show. I have never seen how a UGF could be really "useful" as a filter system as the whole concept was wonky. Someone else pointed that out in previous post(s).
I haven't been able to dig up much on them so was wanting to know what the "experts" really thought of it.

Though if my plants send their roots down into it...... Then I can quit having to rebury them. And might be something to see with my brackish plants as I can't keep a single one planted because a certain VGD keeps everything stirred up. I hadn't thought about the plants using it to root! Wonder if I could put a light layer of good plant substrate down, then the UGF, and then some sand..... Yes I would have get into the gravel underneath at least once a yr for a good vacuuming...more like twice a yr... Hmm. Stuff to ponder.
Just something to throw out there: If you do lay a layer of something below the filter plate(s) just make sure you have space above the layer and below the plate for the water to move through easily. Otherwise, you are defeating the purpose and possibly creating a bigger problem. But the idea you described sounds like an interesting project.
Keep us posted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com