UV Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bschowa

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi, i just picked up a tank that had a Coralife turbo twist 12x 36w uv filter included and i was wondering how beneficial this is, i will eventually make this tank into a saltwater tank but for the time being it is going to be freshwater. is this something i want to hang onto or would i be better off selling it and using the money elsewhere in filtration?

thanks for your time
Brent

I have only used one on my SW tank. I dont use it any more. The one I had lasted 10 yrs and I never replaced it once it broke. They are OK but only what goes through the lighted chamber gets killed.

thanks for the imput, upon reading up on them intensively on the internet it seems as if some people love them and others think they are a waste of money, as i have never used one i am not sure what side of the fence i sit on, but when it comes to quality it seems like the one that i have is on the higher end of them, putting out 500 gph which on my 75 gallon tank is a turnover rate of 6.6 times an hour but i would place it before the skimmer on my sump so im guessing that i would want the rate would be less than that. that being said, knowing that a majority of my water would be going through it do you think that it would be worth keeping?

before i make my jump to saltwater there is many more things i need to get, and right now i am leaning towards seeing how much i can get selling the uv filter and putting that money into other things that i need.

how much do you think i could get for this filter? she said that it had been used about 5 months on and off and it sells new for around 170.

New there 199. Used probably get 70-80. I have the same uv and I won't run my tank without it.

what size tank do you have and if you dont mind why do you say you wouldn't run your tank without it?

do you run yours into your skimmer?

Bschowa said:
what size tank do you have and if you dont mind why do you say you wouldn't run your tank without it?

do you run yours into your skimmer?

I have a 180 reef display and 55 sump/refugium. I do not run it before the skimmer. I have a dedicated return pump that flows the uv. Basically I have 2 pumps to return the water. 1 directly to the tank and the other flows through the uv then to the tank. I use a ball valve BEFORE the uv to regulate flow.

Uvs may not be a cure for anything but if u can have an extra weapon may as well use it. Algae spores, ich, even some bacteria will be killed.

I use to have an ich problem. Not anymore that I can see. If I do still have it in my tank the uv is defiantly the reason.

Edit** if I do still have ich in my tank it's kept at bay by the uv for sure.

Sorry didn't proof read and I'm tired!

thanks for the help! i think what i am going to do is hold onto it for the time being, test it out a bit see how i like it and go from there.

thank you for the info though! the way that you are running it makes more sense then into the skimmer, that way you can get max flow out of both.

Look on eBay for a new bulb. I've seen 2 for 25$ with free shipping. They should be replaced every 4 months to keep tip top.

Back
Top Bottom