UV sterilizer yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbtrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I have been told get a 9 watt coral life sterilizer for a 75 gallon tank with 80 pounds of llive rock. My tank is new since January so its still developing and lots of add ons. Othners have said I need a 18 watt coral life sterilizer because the 9 watt is too little. Others have said with the 18 watt I'll kill too much stuff on my live rock. Then we get into the argument of too small a pump for slower water passage others say use a bigger pump. I'm confused please help.[/b]

Why do you want a UV sterilizer? Unless you just want one, I don't believe that they are absolutely necessary or desired on a Coral tank...

Read up on the UV you want and it will reccomend what size tank it can be useful on.
Slow water flow is better then fast, too fast and the things we want to kill just pass through the light.
Are they needed No, will the help with free floating algae and parasites that flow through the unit yes.
Its your call if you want one or not... There are ++ and --- to them.
It will kill what ever flows through the unit..

i would say yes its a great preventative investment for FOWLR but i wouldnt think i would be nessicary or beneficial for a coral tank

barbtrave,

Actually I consider a UV a must have for any reef tank. I consider my UV a main cog in the system for my entire tank. Not only do these cut down on the nuiscance algae the you get in reef tanks from all the lighting, using slower flow rates you can cut down on parasites and bacterial problems as well. Since much of what corals suffer from can be bacterial having a UV can be a huge benefit to any reef tank.

As far as size, I have a 50 gallon reef with an 8 watt on it. Going with the 18 watt should not kill anything in the tank other than parasites and unwanted algae spores, although if I were you I would go with a 12 or 14 watt if you can find it. Aqua Ultraviolet makes some really nice set-ups - one with a built in wiper for cleaning, you may wanna check that out.

Back
Top Bottom