Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
UV sterilizer yes or no?

Well I have been told get a 9 watt coral life sterilizer for a 75 gallon tank with 80 pounds of llive rock. My tank is new since January so its still developing and lots of add ons. Othners have said I need a 18 watt coral life sterilizer because the 9 watt is too little. Others have said with the 18 watt I'll kill too much stuff on my live rock. Then we get into the argument of too small a pump for slower water passage others say use a bigger pump. I'm confused please help.[/b]

barbara Travers
barbtrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Unless you can jam your live rock into the sterilizer, it won't kill anything on it.

LittlePuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Why do you want a UV sterilizer? Unless you just want one, I don't believe that they are absolutely necessary or desired on a Coral tank...
Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Read up on the UV you want and it will reccomend what size tank it can be useful on.
Slow water flow is better then fast, too fast and the things we want to kill just pass through the light.
Are they needed No, will the help with free floating algae and parasites that flow through the unit yes.
Its your call if you want one or not... There are ++ and --- to them.
It will kill what ever flows through the unit..
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one and its great
Ada Caro
adacaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
i would say yes its a great preventative investment for FOWLR but i wouldnt think i would be nessicary or beneficial for a coral tank
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually I consider a UV a must have for any reef tank. I consider my UV a main cog in the system for my entire tank. Not only do these cut down on the nuiscance algae the you get in reef tanks from all the lighting, using slower flow rates you can cut down on parasites and bacterial problems as well. Since much of what corals suffer from can be bacterial having a UV can be a huge benefit to any reef tank.

As far as size, I have a 50 gallon reef with an 8 watt on it. Going with the 18 watt should not kill anything in the tank other than parasites and unwanted algae spores, although if I were you I would go with a 12 or 14 watt if you can find it. Aqua Ultraviolet makes some really nice set-ups - one with a built in wiper for cleaning, you may wanna check that out.
Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Nice for cleaner water. Not much benefit for controlling parasites.

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com