Watts on heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gpsdrew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How many watts does my heater need to have for my 30 gallon tank to keep it at 80 degrees.

150 watts more than enough. need to remember how warm you keep the place where it's located if it's already always 75 degrees then that's not much, if it always 50 degrees in the house or garage then it will need to work more. All heaters are not equal also some are better and don't take as much wattage as other. I am running a 125 gallon tank and about 30 gallon sump on a 250 Watt heater. But I know with house heat and such it's not being over worked. Look at the aqueon pro heaters. Lifetime warranty and have a light always on letting you know it's working and different light color when the heater is heating the tank

Tank Heater Question

How many watts does my heater need to have for my 30 gallon tank to keep it at 80 degrees.

Hello G...

For smaller tanks up to 30 gallons, just figure on 5 watts per gallon of tank volume. For tanks larger than 30, three watts per gallon is sufficient. So, for a 30 G, a 150 watt heater is all that's needed.

B

For my 20 long I use a 50w heater and keeps at 78. I'm almost sure a 100w heater will be more than enough for a 30 gallon. Just buy a good quality heater.

I found a good 300w heater on amazon for $15. I bought it because it had good reviews and was cheaper than all the rest. I also got a cool electronic thermometer that ive always wanted.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom