Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo8cinco View Post
None yet ...
Actually, you do. Anemones are a type of coral.

Agree with others... a 4 bulb T5HO would be the minimum I would consider if you want to keep the anemone healthy.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

So for my tank you think a 160w t5 quad fixture would work?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA fisherman View Post
+1 and no that anemone is not good..... :-/ first if you wanted to house a anemone , you should have VERY VERY STRONG LIGHTING! Then wait about 8 months to a year...... just to make sure your tank is established, and doesn't go thru ph,nitrates,ammonia,nitrite SWINGS that will kill it.......please do more reading as they have lots of interesting web sites on anemone.

But to answer your question: watts per gallon really can't apply much since lighting has advanced.
For a anemone I say go with any
4xbulb t5 high output.
Or metal halide.. And if you have mucho money LEDs will do.
Very good advice

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want to upgrade mine as well, I have 4 t12 IceCaps. on a 100 gallon.

I cant decide on what to get... I was thinking T5HO's because I cant afford a chiller for the MH.. and LED's I would need to sell my arms and legs... LOL

So really.. how do you calculate how many watts per gallon? I have read 3 to 5 watts. so for my 100 gallon I would need 500 watts?

Right now I have a small pulsing xenia and a mushroom. They are doing fine, but I think I need better lights before I spend any money on sps.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_murray
I want to upgrade mine as well, I have 4 t12 IceCaps. on a 100 gallon.

I cant decide on what to get... I was thinking T5HO's because I cant afford a chiller for the MH.. and LED's I would need to sell my arms and legs... LOL

So really.. how do you calculate how many watts per gallon? I have read 3 to 5 watts. so for my 100 gallon I would need 500 watts?

Right now I have a small pulsing xenia and a mushroom. They are doing fine, but I think I need better lights before I spend any money on sps.
While the W/Gal seems to be a rule of thumb for aquariums, I would like to point out that two similarly Watted bulbs can be very different in light output. Not only can color temperature change, but so can the raw light output (lumens). Even a 20W Fluorescent bulb can vary over 100 Lumens.

Wattage is nothing more than the measure of -energy drawn- by a lightbulb. While it's been a rather popular notion that the higher the wattage, the brighter the bulb, this isn't necessarily true. As technologies improve, bulbs have been able to provide more lumens per watt. (You may wish to google luminous efficacy.) Compare a T12 and a T5HO at the same wattage and you'll find that the lm/W is much higher for T5s.

When looking into fixtures, be sure to total the lumen count before you buy or you may find yourself with less raw light than you need and a hole burnt in your wallet...

Tags
watts, watts per gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com