Wet/dry filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a BH 1000 reef octopus protein skimmer n a regular power filter with chem-pure bag in it. So I was looking at a wet/dry filter. Don't know to much about them. Do I need with the equipment I already have? I have a 40 gallon tank

that depends on you. what maintenance are you doing on this tank? if i had a 40 gallon, i would do weekly water changes and enjoy the tank. i would not have a protein skimmer, wet/dry or sump. i would use a HOB filter and water changes.

I do water changes every week. I take out about 5 gallons. Should I take out more? When I bought my tank I was told I had to have protein skimmer. U don't think it's really necessary for my tank?

no. a protein skimmer removes waste. if you are removing waste with water changes, then you don't need the skimmer. 20% water changes weekly isn't bad if your feeding and bio load are moderate. every tank is different. you'll have to evaluate your nutrient export and adjust with mechanical or biological methods as needed.
as far as replacing trace elements, use the same formula. if your coral load is larger, and more stony corals and your calcium and alk are depleting more frequently, you may need to do larger water changes.

Back
Top Bottom