Wet/Dry Filter Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeWidd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I received an Amiracle Wet/Dry filter in a package deal. To my suprise everything except a return hose is present. Including a bucket of bio-balls.

The tank size is 24Lx10dx14H which equates to about 14.5 gallons.

My question is....What would be the maximum size tank I could use this
filter with?

Thanks in advance......Mike

I have no instructions, not even a model number. I'm going to set it up with a 30gallon just to see if I put it together right. I will post a pic when I'm done.

Thanks Andrew

Well this is it. It seems to be running correctly. I think I'll have to fine tune the inside overflow, But I'm happy with it. For the record I removed the egg crate and put a piece if flat filter pad in instead. I thought the crate was not flowing well enough.

Feel free to express!

60006-albums11175-picture48532.jpg

60006-albums11175-picture48534.jpg

60006-albums11175-picture48533.jpg

60006-albums11175-picture48535.jpg

I'm thinking there should be some kind of pre-filter here. For the time being I put a square piece of filter in there. Any Ideas?

60006-albums11175-picture48536.jpg

Well this is it. It seems to be running correctly. I think I'll have to fine tune the inside overflow, But I'm happy with it. For the record I removed the egg crate and put a piece if flat filter pad in instead. I thought the crate was not flowing well enough.

Feel free to express!

I'm thinking there should be some kind of pre-filter here. For the time being I put a square piece of filter in there. Any Ideas?

Actually there could be two: one located just where you placed the square piece of foam and another in the overflow box where it drains to the white vertical pipe. The latter is often coarser to catch the bigger stuff and allow decent flow and in the form of a tube or cylinder.

Agree ^^ with that response above the bio balls there should be a place to put filter pads in aswell but maybe not on your model. Nice job

@ Fresh That's what I mean. The drain in the overflow is wide open, I put a piece of filter in there for now. @ Andrew I already put a filter pad above the bio-balls. I thought the egg crate in the pic was too dense. I left it running all night..No leaks water levels are the same.

The pics were actually before my start up.:thanks:

Thanks again for your help.....I'm not actually trying to cycle it, I just wanted to make sure it worked first. But when I do, Can I add some bio-rings from my Fluval into the bio-balls or just put them in the return side near the pump?

Thanks again for your help.....I'm not actually trying to cycle it, I just wanted to make sure it worked first. But when I do, Can I add some bio-rings from my Fluval into the bio-balls or just put them in the return side near the pump?

I'd just let them both run for awhile at the same time. Or you could do what your saying. I don't think it would matter where you put them as long as they are in there.

@ Fresh That's what I mean. The drain in the overflow is wide open, I put a piece of filter in there for now. @ Andrew I already put a filter pad above the bio-balls. I thought the egg crate in the pic was too dense. I left it running all night..No leaks water levels are the same.

The pics were actually before my start up.:thanks:

If you can find a piece of PVC pipe (or the plastic plumbing from Lowes/Home Depot plumbing dept) that fits in the white collar, then drill some holes or cut some slots in it. You can then purchase a foam sleeve from an LFS and slide it onto the pipe. I could not find a foam sleeve when I ran a wet dry so I took a square piece of foam and sandwiched it between two squares black plastic gutter guard (basically semi rigid plastic mesh), secured it with a rubber band and used that as a prefilter. I would rinse it out in tap water every few days to help prevent buildup and decay of waste material.
The second prefilter is not a bad thing to have. It was messy to clean because of its size.

Attachments

• image-3327564574.jpg
    image-3327564574.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 196
In my pile of junk I actually found a piece of coarse foam about 1 inch around by 9 inches long. Fits in the hole perfectly. Now I just have to figure out where to get more. Does anyone know a cheap wholesale place for the filter foam, from what I see buying it by the piece can get expensive.

I don't know, maybe I'm just cheap. 5 dollars for a little piece of foam is crazy.

Back
Top Bottom