Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWidd View Post
Thanks again for your help.....I'm not actually trying to cycle it, I just wanted to make sure it worked first. But when I do, Can I add some bio-rings from my Fluval into the bio-balls or just put them in the return side near the pump?
I'd just let them both run for awhile at the same time. Or you could do what your saying. I don't think it would matter where you put them as long as they are in there.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
@ Fresh That's what I mean. The drain in the overflow is wide open, I put a piece of filter in there for now. @ Andrew I already put a filter pad above the bio-balls. I thought the egg crate in the pic was too dense. I left it running all night..No leaks water levels are the same.

The pics were actually before my start up.
If you can find a piece of PVC pipe (or the plastic plumbing from Lowes/Home Depot plumbing dept) that fits in the white collar, then drill some holes or cut some slots in it. You can then purchase a foam sleeve from an LFS and slide it onto the pipe. I could not find a foam sleeve when I ran a wet dry so I took a square piece of foam and sandwiched it between two squares black plastic gutter guard (basically semi rigid plastic mesh), secured it with a rubber band and used that as a prefilter. I would rinse it out in tap water every few days to help prevent buildup and decay of waste material.
The second prefilter is not a bad thing to have. It was messy to clean because of its size.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

In my pile of junk I actually found a piece of coarse foam about 1 inch around by 9 inches long. Fits in the hole perfectly. Now I just have to figure out where to get more. Does anyone know a cheap wholesale place for the filter foam, from what I see buying it by the piece can get expensive.
MikeWidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
In my pile of junk I actually found a piece of coarse foam about 1 inch around by 9 inches long. Fits in the hole perfectly. Now I just have to figure out where to get more. Does anyone know a cheap wholesale place for the filter foam, from what I see buying it by the piece can get expensive.
http://tinyurl.com/bgafbjy
Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't know, maybe I'm just cheap. 5 dollars for a little piece of foam is crazy.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wholesale Filter Foam Aquarium Filter Sponge-Buy Filter Foam Aquarium Filter Sponge lots from China Filter Foam Aquarium Filter Sponge wholesalers on Aliexpress.com

Tags
dry, filter, question, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com