wet n dry filter need info very comfuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samantha_p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
a friend gave me wet n dry filter full of bio balls. the filter was being used in a 125 gal salt water tank. I got a 125 freshwater tank, so here are my questions:
1- is a wet n dry good for a fresh water tank? are they worth it
2-how should I clean this filter before I use it in my tank?
3-should I clean the bio balls and how?
any advice will be greatly appreciated.....thanx

a wet/dry filter is great for a fw tank, i am currently working on one for my 150g... imo you shouldnt use the bioballs that are in it that were set up in a sw tank, i would switch them out for standard pot scrubbers found at walmart or the dollar store. what you want to do to clean the actual "filter" itself would be to take some vinegar and scrub it real good. run lots of water through the pump and overflow lines. is it glass or acrylic and how big is it?

thanx for the reply

the filter is acrylic about the size of a 20gal tank.
i would like to get a new pump for the filter, is
their one you recommend?

well 20g is kinda small... im working on a 55g for my 150. For the pump, honestly, i have no idea. I still havent figured out what im getting for mine. Surely somebody that has experience will throw out some suggestions.

it will greatly depend on what your overflow (box?) is rated to handle.
if it was running on a 125 previously, its safe to assume it was running @ close to 600gph. in which case i would suggest a quiet one 3000, mag7, or rio2500.

but this will also depend greatly on the plumbing and the pump head.

Back
Top Bottom