What is the best lighting combo for coral growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's time for me to replace the light bulbs for my reef tank again. I'm wondering which light bulb (K levels) combination is the best for coral growth. Right now, I have two 65K PC (65 watt), two actinic 03 (420nm)PC (65 watt) and two 10,000K MH (250 watt) bulbs. I've had some decent coral growth with this combination but am wondering if there is a better combination. It looks like my options for the PC lights that I'm aware of are 65K, 67K, or 10,000K. For the MH bulbs it's either 10,000K, 15,000K or 20,000K.

My lighting schedule is as follows:
8:30 AM - 8:30 PM PC lights
11:30 AM - 4:30 PM MH lights with PC lights
8:30 PM - 8:30 AM moon lights.

I have a variety of hard and soft corals (leathers, muchrooms, digitata, birdsnest, star polyps, etc.) I'd like to focus more on coral growth than looks. I know the 65K bulbs has a yellowish tint to them but the actinics seem to do an OK job of flushing them out. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Your lighting is fine. Lighting is only 1 part of the equation for coral growth. You also need stable parameters (alk, ca, mag) with 0 phosphate, good random flow and a good maintanence routine. Nothing happens fast in this hobby, especially coral growth. ;)

Thanks ccCapt,
The other factors in the tank are fine. I was just wondering if there would be a better light combination that could help the coral grow. I know it's a sloooooooow process. By the way, nice looking tank on your page.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom