What looks better. Opinions wanted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got the matching canopy top for the stand. What looks better? I already notice it's gonna be a chore to do any kind of work to the tank i.e. Water changes, testing etc... The top does have a hinged top but the monster light I have gives me about an 8th of an inch.

Anyway what looks better?

View attachment 64869

View attachment 64870

Last edited:
Hi being old school i personally prefer the enclosed 'lid' as i always wondered how much of a 'nuisance' the light would effect the room if not enclosed? But looking at the photo's the open top looks better:blink: Also as you say practicality is very important:cool:

I just went through everything and with the monster light that I have. It just won't work. The legs are in the way so it doesn't sit right and if I take the legs off then I'd had to take the light and top off to do anything to the tank. Not to mention the top is blocking the cooling fans on the light. So not sure it's such a great idea. If I had a lower light or the even the step down model to what I have now it would all work out just fine. But I had to go and get a light I didn't need and to return policy to boot!

Too bad it doesn't work out. I personally like the top one better, because I hate looking into a light when I'm trying to relax and enjoy my tank. Anyway to modify the hood?

Wy Renegade said:
Too bad it doesn't work out. I personally like the top one better, because I hate looking into a light when I'm trying to relax and enjoy my tank. Anyway to modify the hood?

Yeah I'm looking into that know. It's the legs to fan that are holding it from setting correctly. And as far as the fan goes. I can just cut out a small square or drill out tiny holes to allow for airflow.

Yeah I'm looking into that know. It's the legs to fan that are holding it from setting correctly. And as far as the fan goes. I can just cut out a small square or drill out tiny holes to allow for airflow.

Can you add a lip inside the hood for the light to slide in on? If you could do that, that would eliminate the need for legs. I would use a hole saw to cut a big enough hole to allow adequate airflow for the fan.

Not much room to play with. Short of getting a smaller light. I'm not sure it's gonna work. It appears to be able to seat correctly the legs need to be eliminated completely. And then there's the issue of the fan. The intake side and outlet side.

Wy Renegade said:
Can you add a lip inside the hood for the light to slide in on? If you could do that, that would eliminate the need for legs. I would use a hole saw to cut a big enough hole to allow adequate airflow for the fan.

Thats a good idea. A lip inside the hood. I'll have to look into that.

Problem solved. There's supports on the inside that rest on the top of the tank. I'm going to extend the supports to a height that will work with the light. Done deal... The canopy won't sit as low as it would normally but the difference won't be that bad.

I pulled a Macgyver!! Finished!! I just added length to the legs where it rests on the tank. Stained it and there ya go. Wife is pissed lol I cut the wood in the house. I busted out the skill saw and went to town. Now I gotta take her xmas shopping :(

View attachment 64957

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom