What size filter is good for a 12 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmurphy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm putting together a small freshwater community tank with a 12 gallon long Mr. Aqua rimless tank. Is there a large difference between the maintenance on an Eheim and on a Fluval? Would a filter designed for 70 gallons be too much filtration?

Also, Im struggling to find clear tubing that will match my rimless tank. Any suggestions?

I'm putting together a small freshwater community tank with a 12 gallon long Mr. Aqua rimless tank. Is there a large difference between the maintenance on an Eheim and on a Fluval? Would a filter designed for 70 gallons be too much filtration?

Also, Im struggling to find clear tubing that will match my rimless tank. Any suggestions?

What are you looking to stock the tank with and Are you committed to a canister filter?

Any 70gallon capacity filter in a 12 gallon tank would be a bit much in terms of flow, unless you can lower the output. Fluval and Eheim are both quality filters ... you'd want to go with a Fluval 205 / 206 or it's Eheim equivalent as far as canisters go.

If your open to an HOB filter, an Aqua Clear 20 (now also by Fluval) would more than do for a 12gallon, it's flow can be adjusted and the intake tubes are clear. Want a little more filtration? Then look at an AC-30.

Thanks for the reply, jc.

I'm thinking about stocking 10 Neon Green Rasbora (the really tiny ones - Microdevario kubotai), a centerpiece fish or two, and 8-10 Blue Pearl Shrimp.

Im a little excited about having an external filter with the rimless tank. It sounds like I should definitely downgrade to a smaller (boo) and cheaper (yay) filter. It also sounds like you're a fan of the Fluval over the Eheim? I'll have to compare and get back to you. Any thoughts on which would be easiest to maintain for someone's fist tank?

I used to run an inherited fluval 404 on my 75gal before it died on me. It was a good filter, but the Aqua Clears were on sale that week plus I had a coupon so I opted so I opted for the AC-70 so I recommend Fluvals. Hagen added the fluval name to their aqua clear line of filters. Eheim has a good rep with members so you couldn't go wrong.

I find the Aqua Clear filters are easier to maintain than canisters in general ... especially for small tanks. My AC-20 takes a few minutes to remove, properly
Clean and put the media back during routine maintenance.

I have a Fluval 306 on my 29g and it creates a pretty good current. It would be overkill on a 12g.

If your wanting a canister filter (fluval specifically, i dont have much experiance with Eheims) I'd go with the 106. Its rated for tanks up to 25g so it should be plenty. The 206 may or may not be too much for a 12g but you could still give that one a shot too. (They have adjustable flow rates anyways)

Aquaclear power filters are great and are relativity cheap. Cant go wrong with one of them

I'd also recommend the Fluval C series filters. They are uninqe in the fact that they use a wet dry system! Its certainly very cool and many people say that its a better form of biological filtration. The C series filters do tend to be a little more expensive though

Thanks for all of the advice! I'm pretty sure I want a canister filter, and after comparing the smaller sizes of Fluvals, Eheims and Aquaclear they all seem interchangeable. Have either of you found one to be quieter than the others?

@foxtrot, My local Petsmart has the Fluval C. It's certainly pricey. Do you think it's worth it for my first tank?

?
@foxtrot, My local Petsmart has the Fluval C. It's certainly pricey. Do you think it's worth it for my first tank?

If you are willing to put out the extra money then yes! I have heard nothing but good things about them and how cool they are.

I would still recommend a canister filter over any power filter, but that would also mean spending even more money.

And as far as noise goes, my Fluval 306 is virtually silent. I sometimes have to feel it just to reassure myself that its on!

The filter is the heart of your tank, so get the best one you can afford. Not saying the cheaper versions won't do a good job, but you get what I mean.
I also run a fluval, the 306 on my 20 gallon, have it running since October and no issues whatsoever so far. And its virtually silent, you gotta put your ear next to it to hear it.

Thanks to both of you! Between both of you and the clerk at my LFS I have a trio of support for the Fluval. That has to mean something :)

Is there a chance the 306 has a setting to adjust the flow rate? I'd hate to work the micro-sized fish to death with too much current.

Im no expert on canister filters but I do know Eheims tend to have a lower flow rate than other filters of the same capacity. So if you went with one of those you shouldnt have to worry about turning your aquarium into a whirlpool.

But I should add that the only reason I got a fluval was because it was half off on black Friday. If you got the coin look into the ehem filters. They're considered to be top of the line and generally last twice as long as the fluvals

Thanks to both of you! Between both of you and the clerk at my LFS I have a trio of support for the Fluval. That has to mean something :)

Is there a chance the 306 has a setting to adjust the flow rate? I'd hate to work the micro-sized fish to death with too much current.

Yes, the Fluval's all have an adjustable flow rate valve

But I should add that the only reason I got a fluval was because it was half off on black Friday. If you got the coin look into the ehem filters. They're considered to be top of the line and generally last twice as long as the fluvals

Fluvals are like, the Toyotas of the canister filter world. Not too expensive, reliable, simple to use, very adaptable and will last you a long time. Just be sure to get the new 06 line rather than the 05 or 04. I've heard of people having problems with Fluval 05's. Nothing but good things from the new 06 line though!

Eheims are like the Cadillacs of canisters. Very well made to every last little detail. Some might say that they are a little more complicated though (depending on the model). They will also practically last a lifetime if taken care of. You will however, most likely be dishing out the big bucks for one though (Again depending on the model)

Fluvals are like, the Toyotas of the canister filter world. Not too expensive, reliable, simple to use, very adaptable and will last you a long time. Just be sure to get the new 06 line rather than the 05 or 04. I've heard of people having problems with Fluval 05's. Nothing but good things from the new 06 line though!

Eheims are like the Cadillacs of canisters. Very well made to every last little detail. Some might say that they are a little more complicated though (depending on the model). They will also practically last a lifetime if taken care of. You will however, most likely be dishing out the big bucks for one though

Lol best analogy I've ever read.

Haha, the analogy helps quite a bit. Oddly enough, I'm finding both filters within $5 of one another on Amazon (around $95). I'm hitting up a large fs this afternoon ... I'll update with what I find :)

Back
Top Bottom