What to do about filtration ... !??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently cycling my 2 gallon nano SW tank with about 1.5 pounds of live rock and some frozen fish food shrimp stuff ...

anyways, It's (so far) got 18watt compact flourescent lighting and for filtration a Fluval Plus 2 ... which is capable of filtering something like 100g/h, however it does take up nearly half of the tank ...

- what does everyone think I should do - replace this with a small HOB filter so I have enough room to add another large piece of LR which would take up about 1/3 the tank total, however the filter would be capable of less g/hr ... or keep the Fluval (internal) which takes up about half the tank by itself and looks unsightly however is capable of better flow? I'm lost can any one give me their opinion? LR or better filter...

If going with a HOB would give you more room for LR then i would go that route. You can still use the HOB for mechanical and chemical filtration with the added benefit of LR as well.

Thanks Lando, could you, or anyone please explain the difference between mechanical and chemical filtration, it's something that I keep reading, just have never bothered to try to work out the difference ... any way another thing I can't work out is why people use LR rubble in the filter, surely it can't be as effective as filter media!? TIA :)

mechanical filtration is using some sort of media to mechanically remove particulate from the water, filter pads for example. Chemical filtration involves things like carbon or other forms of media to remove things from the water such as medicine, odors, colors, etc.
The reason that LR is used in a sump is that it acts (I believe) in the same way that bio balls act. They allow a large surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. The location in the sump ensures that a lot of water will come in contact with that bacteria to keep ammonia and nitrites under control.

Thanks, I believe I will remove the fluval and purchase a HOB and use ceramic rings, filter pads and activated carbon & have the added LR in the main tank, assuming I am correct this will give me Bio, Chem & Mech filtration, right!? :)

Well put guru2. OceanMist...You will have all three types of filtration with LS, LR and a HOB (provided you run both mech and chem filtration in it). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom