Which HOB Would You Pick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have marineland 350's on all my tanks and love them. It would be a little overkill for a 10g, but I run one on my 29G fry tank and it works great and the water is crystal clear.

Hey Spoon!

What part of Vegas are you in? I'm in Henderson!

As for the "overkill for a 10 gallon" suggestion, I actually have a 60...

Would this be good over an AquaClear?

Honestly, whether you focus just on money or on the cleaning ability adding an AC is a good option. It is cheaper to run the ACs since you do not have to replace the media (except for carbon if you use it). The media for those other filters will add up fast and will pay for a brand new AC110.
If you really want to stick with the others just keep the AC110 in mind.

If there was another filter to consider someone would mention it. IME the debate for best HOB always ends with AC, sometimes a Biowheel lover will chime in and refuse to quit, but the ACs are the top pick of most hobbyists.

Honestly, whether you focus just on money or on the cleaning ability adding an AC is a good option. It is cheaper to run the ACs since you do not have to replace the media (except for carbon if you use it). The media for those other filters will add up fast and will pay for a brand new AC110.
If you really want to stick with the others just keep the AC110 in mind.

If there was another filter to consider someone would mention it. IME the debate for best HOB always ends with AC, sometimes a Biowheel lover will chime in and refuse to quit, but the ACs are the top pick of most hobbyists.

Thanks Fish,

Indeed I see that the AquaClears are always recommended by the hobbyists; I am just uncertain of a couple of things now...

Should I replace the Aqueons completely now that I noticed some kind of bacterial growth (as far as I can recognize) on their biogrids?

And, do I need to worry about the AquaClears' intake strainer sucking my goldfish in?

Could you also explain to me why the AquaClears don't have to have their media changed (unless I misunderstood you)?

Thanks. :wave:

no, leave the aqueons on your tank right now so you dont stop or have to restart the cycle. when/if you get an aqua clear just run that on your tank with the aqueon for about a month so that bacteria can colonize it. then you can take the aqueon off.

you only replace the media in the aqua clear when/if it's falling apart or used up if activated carbon. other wise you just rinse it out in the used tank water when you do a pwc. i dont use the carbon in mine unless i need to remove medication so i added some bonded filter floss for more biological filtering capacity.

no, leave the aqueons on your tank right now so you dont stop or have to restart the cycle. when/if you get an aqua clear just run that on your tank with the aqueon for about a month so that bacteria can colonize it. then you can take the aqueon off.

Okay.

you only replace the media in the aqua clear when/if it's falling apart or used up if activated carbon. other wise you just rinse it out in the used tank water when you do a pwc. i dont use the carbon in mine unless i need to remove medication so i added some bonded filter floss for more biological filtering capacity.

So, pretty much, if I use the supplied three-level/layer media that comes in the box, those elements never need to be changed or replaced? The sponge-like pads, etc?

I have 2 Marineland Penguin 350B filters on my 55g... no problems at all with water quality or cloudyness. I wont buy anything else.

I have 2 Marineland Penguin 350B filters on my 55g... no problems at all with water quality or cloudyness. I wont buy anything else.

Thanks for the input, Coyote; indeed, it seems we have a vote here for the Marinelands...

Why do you like them so much? Can you give me some insight as to why you prefer them over the AquaClears?

Have you also used AquaClears or just the Marinelands?

You do need to replace carbon (which comes with a new AC) but not the biomedia or the foam block.

So, have we come any closer to some kind of concensus here for me? I know FishGuy recommends keeping my Aqueons on for now, and then perhaps adding the AquaClear later on (unless I was mistaken), and I think that may be a solid plan...

I'm thinking of keeping my QuietFlow 55 on at least because that's the bigger filter, and just replacing the QuietFlow 30, which doesn't seem to be doing anything on the opposite side of the tank, to be honest -- I'd replace the 30 with an AquaClear 110, so it would be the Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and the AquaClear 110 running the tank...would this make for adequate flow and exchange/return rates?

Are there any other HOB brands I should be exploring or considering outside of Tetra, Marineland or AquaClear?

if you have another filter and its working for it keep it. if at some time you want to add another filter to the tank/breaks down/ new tank get a aquaclear. i find it very hand to stick to one brand of filters that way you always have parts or extra media or something. i only run aquaclears since they give you the best options for media. they are also work horses. i been running them for years with out any problems.

on the 60 gallon tank the 3 filters you have should be fine. if you want to upgrade ac 110 would be the way to go. i would take out the small filters.

if you have another filter and its working for it keep it. if at some time you want to add another filter to the tank/breaks down/ new tank get a aquaclear. i find it very hand to stick to one brand of filters that way you always have parts or extra media or something. i only run aquaclears since they give you the best options for media. they are also work horses. i been running them for years with out any problems.

on the 60 gallon tank the 3 filters you have should be fine. if you want to upgrade ac 110 would be the way to go. i would take out the small filters.

Gamer,

Right now, I don't have three filters running -- just two Aqueons, one QuietFlow 55 and a second QuietFlow 30 to supplement the 55; are you saying keep these and not get a new AquaClear, or add the AquaClear to the Aqueon 55?

i went by your sig thats why. if they are working for you keep them. if you are having problems with them then think about switching. if you do switch personally i would go with a ac110. i dont know if i would go out and buy a new filter just because.

Oh, the Tetra Whisper is actually an air pump for the bubble wands, not a filter -- I guess I need to specifiy that in the signature...

As for them "working for me," that's what I'm wondering -- would the AquaClears make a difference in terms of clearer water?

I actually just picked up a redesigned whisper power filter and there awesome! Usually I'm a marineland guy (the emperor power filters being the king IMO) but I'd have to say these whisper filters are pretty cool.

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+19169&pcatid=19169&r=33

It has some kind of strip deal to tell you exactly when your carbon is exhausted and a new cartridge is needed and the bio scrubber technology it uses is pretty cool, self priming too. I'd say to give that a try or go with the emperor power filter, just stay away from the penguins the emps are better for the spray bar.

I actually just picked up a redesigned whisper power filter and there awesome! Usually I'm a marineland guy (the emperor power filters being the king IMO) but I'd have to say these whisper filters are pretty cool.

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+19169&pcatid=19169&r=33

It has some kind of strip deal to tell you exactly when your carbon is exhausted and a new cartridge is needed and the bio scrubber technology it uses is pretty cool, self priming too. I'd say to give that a try or go with the emperor power filter, just stay away from the penguins the emps are better for the spray bar.

Thanks!

I think I noticed these on Tetra's site; is there a model good for up to 60 gallons?

Yet again...

Like just about every other HOB out there the media for these is a dinky little slide-in cartridge with a thin layer of floss and a sprinkling of carbon. Compare that to the media in an AquaClear and you will see a massive difference in the amount of media.

If it is claiming 'up to' 70 gallons that means it is really good for about 35 gallons (of moderate stock of community fish). Always cut what they claim in half, with any company.

Back
Top Bottom