Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Why is my tank leaking?

I have a very old metal and glass 5 gal tank. I'm having a problem with splash I think but I'm not really sure. I start noticing a leak around day 3-4 of having the bio wheel filter running. I can't figure out where it is coming from unless the water from the splash is running down the inside of the hood and then running down the sides. I haven't noticed any water on the sides however. I have checked all the edges and the bottom for leaks. I can't find any.
Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it as simple as buying a piece of lexan for a splash guard? If so what is the best thickness to get and how would I go about attaching it to the tank? Would I be able to just sit the lexan on top of the tank and then the hood on top of that? I would rather not have to screw in anything or otherwise damage the tank (it is an antique) but for the fish and my furniture's sake i would give it consideration.
Also I do not currently have any fish in this tank. I'm just trying to make sure I have all the problems solved before I begin cycling.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!

Is your water level high enough to cover your filter outlet? My filters will splash a bit when the water level starts to drop.

A glass cover would be fine for the tank. I'm not very familiar with the old metal frame tanks and how the frame is designed, but if it has a lip inside the top rim, just get a piece of glass that will fit on that lip and let gravity hold it in place. Lexan will discolor and sag. Glass won't.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thank you so much for the quick response! i don't think there is a lip on the frame at all. the glass would just sit on top of the tank itself with the hood over that. im worried that the water will crawl or have some form of capillary action. i put in an order for a piece of glass today and will have it in about a week. this could possibly be the reason tanks are no longer made like the one i have...?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the reason metal frame tanks aren't made any more is that the frame blocks a lot of viewing area. As long as the water isn't touching the glass, I wouldn't worry about the water creeping. The glass will dip in the middle just a bit, but enough to let the water run down back into the middle of the tank.

Tags
diy, leaking, splash guard, tan, tank leak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com