Will any 54w T5HO bulb work with a Hagen GLO ballast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

har-2109

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will any manufacturers bulb work with this ballast, or do they have to be Hagen bulbs?

Also which combination of bulbs would be best for a 55g planted tank? (the ballast is 2x54w T5HO)

Thanks

har-2109 said:
Will any manufacturers bulb work with this ballast, or do they have to be Hagen bulbs?

Also which combination of bulbs would be best for a 55g planted tank? (the ballast is 2x54w T5HO)

Thanks

Check their website. In all my years dealing with flo's I've never seen it, but there's always a first. Just gotta match the bulb wattage to the fixture (ballast). Some newer ballasts have a range rather than a specific wattage.

IMHO, I prefer to stay in the sweet spot for plants which is 65 - 6700K, but many here say up to 10,000K is fine.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Il have a look around then.

I havent bought anything yet, should I go for the 2x54w or 2x39w?

I just assumed the 54w would be better as it fits the length of the tank, but from reading round, people seem to be using the dual 39w aswell.

har-2109 said:
Il have a look around then.

I havent bought anything yet, should I go for the 2x54w or 2x39w?

I just assumed the 54w would be better as it fits the length of the tank, but from reading round, people seem to be using the dual 39w aswell.

If both are plant capable bulbs then 2X54=108w of power output. The K (Kelvin) is always what the bulb is producing so that doesn't multiply. As for length, you want to size the fixture to the tank IMO.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

i have a hagen glo with life glo 1x54w over a 55g and its pretty bright. if i had an extra bulb i would get a power glo just for the fishs' color is brighter, but another lifeglo has better temp and lumens for plants. most other bulbs should work fine, foster and smith.com has compatability charts to make sure. . bulbs that peak in all three colors(tri phospher) are good for plants, as well as daylight 5500-6700k, and super daylight 10,000k(usually the tri phospher kind)...whew...

Back
Top Bottom