Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

will this light setup suffice for my 125g?

Just picked up a used hood that has 3 175w MH's, and 2 96W PC's. I got that with ballasts (Custom Sealife) for 500. The guy told me that they were electric ballasts, but is there anyway to actually check? I opened the one up the other day and had no clue whatsoever as to what I was looking at. Anyways, I digress, what I really want to know is wheather this will work for my reef setup that I am gradually building up. I don't know yet what I will want to keep, but what I'd like to know is if there is anything that I won't be able to keep. Thanks!!![/i]

Old 07-30-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i'm a noob but i think that's plenty from what i've read.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How old are the bulbs that came with it? you shold be able to keep what ever you want under that amount of light.
What did the guy you bought it from have in his tank??

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's a decent lighting system for a 125. The only issue will be light penetration w/ only 175w MH's over such a big, deep tank. I think 250's would be ideal. True high light corals and clams, such as brightly colored SPS and Crocea clams, will have to be kept in the upper portions of the rock work-probably at least mid-level maybe higher IMO/IME.
EDIT: 175w are single ended bulbs right?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes the bulbs are single ended (pendants, right???). The guy gave me only one bulb with the setup because what he had was pretty old and the bulb was just to ensure that the ballasts are in working order. speaking of ballasts, does anyone know how to check if a ballast is electric as opposed to the magnetic or tar ones??? As far as getting 250w bulbs, I would have prefered doing that but then I'd have been looking at new setups which would have put the light purchase much further down the road. The guy who sold them to me told me he used it on a 180 gallon tank back when he had a business going. He said he used it as a holding tank for his clients livestock and that he had all sorts of things flourishing in it.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
yes the bulbs are single ended (pendants, right???).
Usually pendants use DE(double ended) lamps. Does the bulb screw in like a standard "house" bulb? If so it is a SE bulb. AFAIK, DE bulbs come in 150w and SE 175w. Here is a pic of an SE bulb to compare w/ yours- http://store1.yimg.com/I/lamps-now_1852_120458
I brought up the question b/c DE bulbs are generally more intense than SE and penetrate the water better. Therefore you can get away w/ a lower watt system using DE bulbs. HTH and best of luck.
BTW I'm not sure how to tell a mag ballast from an electronic...
Old 07-30-2005, 07:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

yup, the SE bulb is what i have. Will my options for livestock be diminished or will i have to just adjust the depth at which certain things are at?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Will my options for livestock be diminished
I would say no. You are just going to have less space for high light corals to occupy. Use the lower portions of the tank for low to medium light corals, and the upper 1/3rd for high light corals/clams. You can do allot w/ this tank and lighting set up w/ some planning and research.

Tags
1.5g, light, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com