10 gallon Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here are a few pictures of my low-tech 10g community tank. This tank has 2 danios (which I know, they're schooling fish, and I know that they need 20 gallon longs, I got them before I knew this) and 6 Glowlight tetras, plus hundreds of pond snails and a ramshorn snail lol. I just cleaned off the GSA on the front yesterday so I thought I might share some pics since I haven't really showed you this tank much for the time I've been here.

FTS
IMG_2959.JPG

Left side with Pearl danio
IMG_2960.JPG

Right side
IMG_2961.JPG

Ramshorn
IMG_2967.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

nice!! what is that taller plant on the right?? it's cool... i didn't even know you had this tank lol... didn't know you had glowlights! is the plant in the middle java fern?? how did you get it to be so bushy??

Hundreds of snails!? Isn't that a little... overstocked???? One snail creates a LOT of waste... I can't imagine how messy hundreds of snails would be! What happens when they grow up? Also, what are you going to do about your Danios? You should research your fish before you buy them!

P.S- It's a nice looking tank, sorry to seem to rude! I just was... very surprised!

Thanks :D. The tall plant on the right is ludwigia, it was one of the earlier ones who's lower leaves didn't do so well. Idk how it got so bushy. I kinda just sat them in there. One I covered part of the roots (not rhizome) with a rock to which it soon attatched to. The other I just kinda partially buried the roots in the gravel. The plant in front of the fake dw is a baby from the bushier ones.

The snails are all pond snails, I can't really do much about them and lots of ppl have hundreds of them. I know about the danios now, I'm just going to have to care for them as long as they live. I never plan to put another danio in a 10g again :p

Hundreds of snails!? Isn't that a little... overstocked???? One snail creates a LOT of waste... I can't imagine how messy hundreds of snails would be! What happens when they grow up? Also, what are you going to do about your Danios? You should research your fish before you buy them!

P.S- It's a nice looking tank, sorry to seem to rude! I just was... very surprised!

I'm sure A1 didn't go out and buy 100s of pond snails then let them breed like water bunnies to invade his tank. More likely scenario is they hitched on his plants and did the water bunny routine. He has also stated in another post that he found out about the danios after he bought them and felt bad for it.

I'm sure A1 didn't go out and buy 100s of pond snails then let them breed like water bunnies to invade his tank. More likely scenario is they hitched on his plants and did the water bunny routine. He has also stated in another post that he found out about the danios after he bought them and felt bad for it.

Hi, yeah I don't mean to be rude or mean. I now understand the snail thing... something that can't really be helped. but I still think that the Danios should have been researched before hand. I mean, that's like the first thing on every Danio website, they need schools of 6... I don't see if he researched these fish beforehand how he could have missed it, Sorry. :(

Its ok. I used to have 5 but then I realized that they needed 20g tanks, and they just kinda slowly died off so now I just have two left. Besides I was like 12 when I got them lol, I hardly knew anything about fish then.

yep that's basically it.

Hundreds of snails!? Isn't that a little... overstocked???? One snail creates a LOT of waste... I can't imagine how messy hundreds of snails would be! What happens when they grow up?

snails don't really create that much waste... they actually help to control the waste in the tank as they eat uneaten food, etc. plus, he only has 8 small fish in the tank, so it's not by any means overstocked. i know that he has a good maintenance schedule, and with the plants adding filtration, having all the snails probably helps more than it hurts. and what do you mean by "when they grow up" ? pond snails stay very small.

Also, what are you going to do about your Danios? You should research your fish before you buy them!

he already said he knew he made a mistake. it's not the worst thing in the world to not have them in a school, as long as they are not showing any signs of stress. i'm sure they are happy and healthy.

he already said he knew he made a mistake. it's not the worst thing in the world to not have them in a school, as long as they are not showing any signs of stress. i'm sure they are happy and healthy.
Um well he did say that most of them died off...

Look, I'm not trying to start a fight or cause any hard feelings. A1 was the first person I met on this website and is a very nice person. I'm not an expert, I just pointed out things I felt weren't right. I guess not the end of the world to have them in a small pair, so I did not mean to cause a commotion...

By that logic then you'd think my tanks were overstocked or that I don't know how to care for them because I have let the snails do their thing.

1) in my BW tank my ghost shrimp and the (dragon and bumblebee) gobys munch them.

2) in my 40g my rams love to snack on them

3) in my 10g feeder tank I keep a supply to add to the other 2 tanks if they start to thin out. (which rarely happens)

4) in my 10g RCS tank I let my MTS (malaysian trumpet snails) go hog wild for sale and for use in other tanks.

5) in my 120 my clown loaches love to eat them as well

Um well he did say that most of them died off...

Look, I'm not trying to start a fight or cause any hard feelings. A1 was the first person I met on this website and is a very nice person. I'm not an expert, I just pointed out things I felt weren't right. I guess not the end of the world to have them in a small pair, so I did not mean to cause a commotion...

no worries, just might want to think about doing a little research before making assumptions. no feelings hard or commotion caused. just sayin. and yeah, a1 is a nice person.. and knows better than to let his fish/inverts suffer ;)

Snails don't actually produce any palpable waste. Most of their waste is a liquid form and is rapidly metabolized by the bacteria in the substrate and filter. Thus, like shrimp you can have literally hundreds and hundreds with no detriment in something as small as a 10g. One guy on the planted tank had appx 500 rcs in a 3gallon tank rofl.

Back
Top Bottom