10 gallon first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
trillistjay said:
I saw a cool 30 that is a little bit wider and longer but mosly taller. But since all my fish swim at the bottom i dont no if a tall tank would be good. Plus its hard to decorate the top

And you would be right. Try and search for a wide tank. Put specifications in your searches. Craigslist, eBay, etc.

If you do veggies make sure to blanch them first (boil until soft).

Crew said:
And you would be right. Try and search for a wide tank. Put specifications in your searches. Craigslist, eBay, etc.

Ill try and get a 30 i guess that would be the biggest i can fit on my desk. I want a 40 but hey i hav no room so theres nothing i can do.... and blanch the veggies "check"

trillistjay said:
I leave the leds on. Are u saying leave lights on at all times? Someone else recommended leaving rocks in water by the window so they can grow alge. But i guess id hav to do that all the time. Once its clean id hav to do it again. And leave a slice of zucchini in there?

Yes algae by the window is a good trick but I haven't try it! Yes I leave a piece of zucchinis in mine for about 2 days that's blanched. They wouldn't go for it straight away so don't be alarmed!

Also I really don't recommend algae wafers. They wouldn't go for it. I never had luck getting them to eat it. Ur other fish will most probably eat them before Ur ottos.

And ya leave ur lights on say 8-10hours a day.

How old is Ur tank?

Hubert90 said:
Yes algae by the window is a good trick but I haven't try it! Yes I leave a piece of zucchinis in mine for about 2 days that's blanched. They wouldn't go for it straight away so don't be alarmed!

Also I really don't recommend algae wafers. They wouldn't go for it. I never had luck getting them to eat it. Ur other fish will most probably eat them before Ur ottos.

And ya leave ur lights on say 8-10hours a day.

How old is Ur tank?

My tank is abt 3 months old. The ottos are the newest members of the team. Im gunna switch out the fake stuff for a little moss. Maybe a couple moss balls. I want a short patch of a grassy like plant and a java fern along with another smaller piece of drift wood. I will be starting that stuff tomorrow. Any suggestions on any of that?

I leave the leds on. Are u saying leave lights on at all times? Someone else recommended leaving rocks in water by the window so they can grow alge. But i guess id hav to do that all the time. Once its clean id hav to do it again. And leave a slice of zucchini in there?
Algae wafers and blanched zucchini would be the typical diet for you to feed your oto's to supplement. The best method I have found is to take a strip of zucchini and blanch it until it's just soft, then hang it seed side out from a veggie clip (you can pick one of these up at the lfs). I also recommend a high quality wafer such has hikari or NLS. Though you may find you have picky eaters on your hand that won't eat these supplements, and then you should definitely grow extra algae for them. It would be a good idea to go ahead an place a bowl of stones in tank water in the window and get that process going to have on hand in case. :)

siva said:
Algae wafers and blanched zucchini would be the typical diet for you to feed your oto's to supplement. The best method I have found is to take a strip of zucchini and blanch it until it's just soft, then hang it seed side out from a veggie clip (you can pick one of these up at the lfs). I also recommend a high quality wafer such has hikari or NLS. Though you may find you have picky eaters on your hand that won't eat these supplements, and then you should definitely grow extra algae for them. It would be a good idea to go ahead an place a bowl of stones in tank water in the window and get that process going to have on hand in case. :)

Ok. I put stones in tap water but ill change it. And does it hav to be zucchini or i guess it depends on the fish right

trillistjay said:
Ok. I put stones in tap water but ill change it. And does it hav to be zucchini or i guess it depends on the fish right

Zucchinis has the highest chance of acceptances. Other like blanched spinach, romaine leftover are known to be eaten too.

A video of my tanks features

My crazy cory ( he was doing this for hours)

If it's going on your desk I'm hoping its a sturdy desk. Each 10gallons is 100 pounds. You've got no room for a stand?

Crew said:
If it's going on your desk I'm hoping its a sturdy desk. Each 10gallons is 100 pounds. You've got no room for a stand?

Very sturdy desk. Its actually a oak dresser. And 0 room for a stand.

trillistjay said:
Very sturdy desk. Its actually a oak dresser. And 0 room for a stand.

Haha! Mines on a wood dresser as well.
Hmm... I've heard of people building their tanks straight into the wall.
....$$$$$$

So i need some help with plants. How to plant them and if i did it right. Some of the roots wont go down to the bottom.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110607_190852.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110607_190852.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20110607_190909.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110607_190909.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 68
  • ForumRunner_20110607_190932.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110607_190932.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 68
  • ForumRunner_20110607_190951.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110607_190951.jpg