15 gallon bowfront Dwarf Puffer set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnighttang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally decided to go with 3 dwarf puffers instead of 1 f8 puffer for my 15 gallon. The tank was already cycled and contained a couple fish (just moved to a bigger tank) and some nuisance snails (puffer snacks). Today, I changed the gravel substrate to sand, added new water, and changed the decorations. I also planted a couple of plants. Since I did not mess with the filter, I should still be cycled, right?

Attachments

• image-2224266655.jpg
    image-2224266655.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 241
  • image-80396142.jpg
    image-80396142.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 244
  • image-643074936.jpg
    image-643074936.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 286
And, any dwarf puffer experts, does this look like a tank that puffers would enjoy or do you have recommendations? I won't be getting the puffers until Saturday at the earliest, because I'm waiting on the stock to come in to the LFS.

I am not a Dwarf Puffer expert but I know alittle about them through this sight. I would suggest some more taller decor. They need the line of sight to be broken or they will fight. Also you should still be cycled since you didnt mess with the filter media.

Should still be cycled but don't leave the tank empty w/o an ammo source or the BB will die.

I agree, more hiding places for the DP's are needed.

Tall decors is needed for less problems in the long-haul. Be prepared to separate any puffer that needs QT or appear too weak among the other 2.

Well, I haven't found any taller decorations I like yet, but I was close to the fish store (which is an hour from my home), so I got two puffers. I figure that with only 2 there will be less chance of aggression. I'll just have to keep looking for taller decorations. The puffers seem to be adjusting well. One of the is currently obsessed with its reflection in the glass. It's funny, after I released them into the tank, I left the room for 5 minutes and, by the time I came back, all the snails had hidden in the sand. Didn't take them long to realize a predator was in the house.

Attachments

• image-697277927.jpg
    image-697277927.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 244
  • image-2195547141.jpg
    image-2195547141.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 229
Sunken belly indicate internal parasite. Use prazipro or Jungle meds.

What's the chance that the thinness could be related to having just arrived at the LFS store (not eating during shipping, etc.)? I won't be able to make it back to the LFS store until at least Saturday due to work and the distance. Will they be okay for that amount of time?
ETA: The big box store near me has an API product that is called "General Cure". It claims to cure parasites. Is this an alternative?

Last edited:
Get something specifically for internal parasite. Doesn't sound like the API stuff is any good. Slim chances that they don't have IP. Even if you feed them, they won't be round for long.

Sadly, one of the 2 never recovered. She never started eating. I tried every variety of live and frozen food without success. The other started eating after a few days and has been fat and happy ever since. As soon as he started eating, he started bullying the smaller fish. I've decided just to leave him by himself for now. He seems happy.

Your situation is common. Best thing you could do is isolate the puffer that was not eating.

Watch the remaining puffer. If you feed today and you see a round, then tomorrow your puff should be less round. If not round, then treat for internal parasite.

I did try isolating, but I think I waited too long to make the move. The remaining puffer is definitely maintaining his weight. He's always rounder after he eats, but he stays rounded, not sunken at all. I would get another, but now thaat he's established himself in the tank, I think he would be more likely to terrorize a new puffer. Oddly enough, in a desperate attempt to induce eating during the first week, I added some ghost shrimp and they all seem to be coexsisting peacefully. What ever food Louie the puff doesn't eat, the shrimp clean up. It's very handy. We'll see if he changes his mind and decides they look like food.

Well, the remaining puffer started looking lethargic, so I treated for internal parasites last night. I'm stuck at work until late today, so I won't know how he's doing until later tonight. I'll do a pwc and re-treat tomorrow. Cross your fingers.

Midnighttang said:
Oddly enough, in a desperate attempt to induce eating during the first week, I added some ghost shrimp and they all seem to be coexsisting peacefully. What ever food Louie the puff doesn't eat, the shrimp clean up..

I tried the ghost shrimp with my dwarf puffers.. It only worked for a day until the puffers figured them out and killed them like a pack of wolves. The GS had some eggs under their tails the DPS loved to snack on. They were harassing the ghost shrimp for them and it was neat to see the DPS collaborate on the hunt! They eventually killed off the GS. I tried it again for the heck of it, and my 3 DPS, 2nd time around they wasted no time and killed all 3 GS in like 2 hrs. They practically dismantled the first (largest) GS by biting off its antennae, then eyes, and finally legs.

I love my DPS, they are so interesting to watch. They only get along with a Bumblebee Goby I have in there. I'm thinking of adding a couple otos down the road. These are the only 2 species of fish that I read can get along with DPS.

Check out my puffers on YouTube... I've added more tall plants since the making of this video. I've yet to do an update (will do soon).

Sadly, despite using the jungle meds for internal parasites and offering a variety of foods, the last puffer died. My water was clean as could be and my readings were all zeros. I don't know what happened. The first one looked sickly shortly after its arrival, but the second one looked healthy for a while, then, suddenly, he looked like he was dying and refused to eat. I think I'm done with puffers for a while. Maybe forever. I just hate to think that the fish died due to something I did or didn't do. I'll stick to less sensitive fish from now on.

Sorry for your loss. The hardest part of keeping this fish is QTing and teaching them to accept the food you give them.

Back
Top Bottom