20gal compatable community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Namar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I'm building my little 20g community and have a good idea of what I'm after, just checking with the experts in here.

Its a planted tank with eco complete substrate. I have a Bristlenose pleco and 10 neons in there at the moment. I am just a little unsure of a bottom feeder. I really like cherry shrimp and would like to add 10-15 of them but I'm worried about them becoming food.

I want to add a couple Rams and they would eat the shrimp unless I get larger ones such as ghost... or I could just add another type of tetra instead of Rams but they all seem to require 5+ to be happy. Any suggestions? I am leaning towards the cherry shrimp over rams at the moment. I have had cories before and want to keep my waste down so opting for a smaller bottom feeder, plus the substrate is hard on their noses.

I have had a bamboo shrimp and he lived for about 5 months before somehow crawling out. Would like someone with shrimp experience.

Rams would def hunt any shrimp, they like to have their little territories also. Khuli loaches could be a alternative bottom feeder as they stay small, 4in and about the width of a pencil. I like cherry shrimp but they don't get very large so a larger number would have to be purchased. On the bright side, I believe the khaki loaches shouldn't bother them if you get them

As for more tetras, the flame tetra could work in school, they stay on the smaller side. All most all tetras have to have school.
Could always get a center piece fish if you looking for color or an eye catcher

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you, I was thinking of 10-15 shrimp. I believe loaches like to burrow into sand so my substrate may be a bit rough for them, correct me if I'm wrong. They are cool though and then I could have GBR. I have had Drawf Gouramis before and find them aggressive even more than Betas I have had.

So thats my dilemma, I have a substrate not friendly to Cories or Loaches. Cherry shrimp would look really cool on my black substrate but most fish would turn them into a snack.

5 Dwarf rainbows could be nice?

Hmm, I agree that dwarf gourmauis
Can be worse then Bettas, having both before. An thank you for pointing out the rough substrate, I missed that through my first read threw. I don't have much experience in dwarf rainbows, I believe they could work form what I've read in passing but don't hold me too that. You def have enough room for a school of something as neons are very small. Now, if you wanna go back to a bamboo shrimp, a glass lid or eggcrate could help stop it from escaping. ,

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ended up getting 5 Long-fin Zebra danios. So active and easier on the water quality. Next up an army of shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom