55 Gallon Planted Tank - A Summary of the Addiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to give a small evolution of how addicting planted tanks can be.

I started with a small 15 gallon tank and a friend of mine gave me some clippings to put in mine. At the time i knew they looked better than plastic. At the time I had no idea what I was doing. I just changed the 25% of the water once a month...WOW! I can't believe how uninformed I was. Anyways I successfully grew Bacopa and Rotala for quite some time.

I eventually got a house and upgraded to a 55 gallon tank. I transferred the same plants but they weren't doing well in the new house (different city, different water). So I got on the internet and found aquariumadvice.com

So literally 2 weeks and $500 later, i have a CO2 injected, pH regulated, 4.71 wpg system...wow was i naive.

I went into it blindly expecting amazing results. Throughout all my struggles I think I finally understand what I need to do. Enough jabbering and on with the pics!!

May 2006

fishtankmay2006.jpg

March 2007

fishtankmarch2007.jpg

April 2007

fishtankapril2007.jpg

May 2007

fishtankmay2007.jpg

August 2007

fishtankaugust2007.jpg

October 2007

fulltanksoctober2007.JPG

August 4, 2008

fishtank1.jpg

fishtank2.jpg

Thanks! Looking at these pictures shows me i need to clean the back glass more (especially now). Also i am gonna try the vegetable oil on the background trick to see if my "black" looks more consistent.

Wow! I love the "pathway" underneath the driftwood. That looks fantastic!!

Thanks! that was the major change i had for this new aquascape.

Obviously my tank changed around from October 2007 to August 2008, i just dont have pictures.

Previously i had worked on the making it more assymetical utilizing the 2:1 rule (The Golden Rule). Also i tried to make the shape more or less concave.

Previously i had worked on the making it more assymetical utilizing the 2:1 rule (The Golden Rule). Also i tried to make the shape more or less concave.

I have seen this "golden rule" mentioned by you a couple of times as well as "shape". What is it? And/or do you have a link to an article about it. (I'm intrigued by all things design and I absolutely must have great design in my aquarium, too.) Thanks :hat:

excellent work and great set up

here is my issue - i ahve photography skills (i am a photojournalism/graphic deisgn major) but my aquarium skills are still -- well i am learning :)

May we can exchange tips. like how the **** do i get a clear shot like i did in Oct 2007 each and every time.

I use a point and shoot Canon.

I have seen this "golden rule" mentioned by you a couple of times as well as "shape". What is it? And/or do you have a link to an article about it. (I'm intrigued by all things design and I absolutely must have great design in my aquarium, too.) Thanks :hat:

Ill dig up some links tonite at home. They recently blocked 90% of the internet at work (thank god not aquariumadvice) so i cant be sure i am sending you the correct links.

getting a clear shot ahs to do with getting a shot that is not blurry

in order to do that you need to have a higher shutter speed.
in order to do that you need to have a higher ISO (film speed)
and on top of it all you need a very wide aperture to allow light into the camera (therefore allowing higher shutter speeds and thus - resulting in a clearer picture)

i am trying to think of simplier ways to explain it

i use a Canon SLR (30D with an arsenal of lenses - including a 60mm Macro)

A big key to a clear photo is keeping the camera still. A tripod is very helpful, or finding a surface to brace the camera against if you don't have a tripod.

A big key to a clear photo is keeping the camera still. A tripod is very helpful, or finding a surface to brace the camera against if you don't have a tripod.

The shots i just took were with a tripod, at night, no flash, and all the house lights off.

I think the graininess is from the lack of light. But if any lights are on, i get glares.

I need to find the right settings with the point and shoot. I turned the ISO all the way up. There is an underwater setting but i dont know how well that works.

If you can't get enough light, then use flash but make sure that the camera isn't at an angle to the aquarium so that the light isn't bounced straight back.

If you can't get enough light, then use flash but make sure that the camera isn't at an angle to the aquarium so that the light isn't bounced straight back.

ill give it a shot (literally....bad joke). How do you all deal with the fact the sides of the tank arent parallel unless you're shooting straight on? The OCD is coming out in me.....

ill give it a shot (literally....bad joke). How do you all deal with the fact the sides of the tank arent parallel unless you're shooting straight on? The OCD is coming out in me.....

Use a good editing program. I use Gimp (available for free from download.com) and use the Perspective tool to correct. It takes a little practise, but is really easy to use.

ill DL that when i get home. Everyone on my homebrew forum has been telling me to use that for my labels. I do all my labels in a combination of powerpoint and MSPaint. I use what i have on hand at work when bored.

Back
Top Bottom