55g Turtle-Tank with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matik24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, my name is Matt and I was hoping to start a discussion here about housing turtles with fish, with other turtle owners. I've got a chinese golden thread turtle which I've had him for over a year now and I have recently upgraded him from a 10 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank just a few months ago.

My set up is this:
55 gallon glass aquarium (48" x 13" x 21" 625 lbs)
Freshwater filled up to 15.5" out of 21"
1 fluval C4 power filter
1 fluval M 200 watt submersible heater

I've got a large size sunken ship
decoration, some type of small corner cave decoration. 1 fake plant (to hide the heater, and a large floating corner beach.

2 small dark colored Angelfish
2 small Silver Dollars
3 Bala Sharks (1 is medium, 2 are small)
1 small Common Plecostomus
1 small Striped Raphael Catfish
5 small common goldfish
1 Banded Leporinus

And... *drumroll*
1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle with a shell the size of the palm of my hand.

I know you may be thinking that my tank is a little over populated but since all my fish are small, there seems to be a lot of room. I plan on getting another tank in the future when they grow up. It's true what they say, "One aquarium is never enough."

dont know if it would work ( im a SW person) but it sounds cool

Subscribing! If you need any help or chat about turts, feel free to ask, likewise I maybe bugging you if the need arises, lol love the tank and your turt! :D

Silver dollars, common pleco and bala sharks cannot be in a 55 gallon get I different type of pleco at least no need to get a common unless you are planning to get 125 gallon tank for the bala sharks silver dollars and the pleco. Correct me if I'm wrong but the goldfish shouldn't really be in there either. These fish also from what I remember all require different water parameters. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of a turtle and fish I just think you need to do a little more research of the type of fish appropriate for your tank. Imo you should never force fish to adapt you need to be the one to adapt to your fish and give them what they need from the start or not at all. But like I said I love the idea and don't mean to lecture by any means.

Like I said earlier, I plan on getting another tank in the future. Since all of these fish are still quite small, there is a lot of space but when it starts getting a little crowded in there I will upgrade or, if it comes down to it, sell them back to a pet store or a friend.

Good luck with all of those fish in there! I have 2 goldfish and 1 opaline gourami in my yellow bellied slider tank! With that many fish wow! Good luck:D

Wow! Thats a BEAUTIFUL turtle! I had a RES and a Map living with 3 goldfish (they were supposed to eat them :p ) in a 55 a while ago... They are both living happily in my pond now.

Also, I don't know if that would work because he would probably attack them... especially the angels. JMO

I have my first question, I have a friend who puts aquarium salt into his freshwater aquarium. It is supposably good for the fish and their slime coat and their immune system. So I was thinking of putting some of this in my aquarium but I don't know how my turtle will react to this. If anyone can help me out it will be very much appreciated

Common goldfish are much better suited for ponds as they get incredibly huge and need something like a 300 gal tank. They are also cold water fish and require different temperature ranges than the rest of your fish. I would do research on each of your species of fish to see what they require long term and see if about their compatibility together.

I have tried to research about putting the freshwater salt in the aquarium, but i can't seem to find anything about how my turtle will react to it. Some one tried it with their red eared sliders and there was no harm done but I just want to make sure about my Chinese golden thread turtle. If someone could give me some advice or a link to a site, it would be much appreciated

I wouldn't put the salt in unless the fish were unwell, treating disease etc. May benefit some fish but i don't think it's a must unless you have to, but don't quote me on that. I don't think it would do much good for the turtle being freshwater, living in streams and freshwater pools, but again I don't know or havnt read about anyone having brackish water for turts.

I have a friend who is also into this hobby. He has a 55 gallon community tank. I have recommended him to this site so maybe you guys can see pictures of it soon because he has a great set up. Anyway, he bought some wood and him and his dad built a custom stand for his aquarium. I loved the look of this stand especially because my fish tank was sitting on my desk and cupboard. So I asked his dad if he would help me build one for myself. He said yes on the condition that I buy the materials and so I did. Then one day I come over to drop my friend off from work and I see that his dad had went ahead and built the stand without me!

Heres what it looks like../Users/mathewheidinger/Desktop/IMG_0886.jpg
/Users/mathewheidinger/Desktop/IMG_0884.jpg
/Users/mathewheidinger/Desktop/IMG_0885.jpg

What do you guys think?

Are you images uploaded to a hosting site? Those locations look to be on the computer HDD not from a hosting site.

Hey. I got some hornwort plants in my tank. They have grown exceptionally tall and they look great, apart from the grey kind of fuzz that's sitting on the lower part of it. Can anyone tell me what the dusty kind of fuzz is? And how can I get rid of it?

Back
Top Bottom