Adventures in aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I get my tax refund I'll be ordering some t5ho lighting for my 29 and 20 gallon tanks.

When I went t5 my plant growth changed drastically! Good luck and prepare for tannins from your driftwood making your water look brown.

If you are dosing ferts you shouldn't have to worry about algae too much.

Can we get a full tank shot?

When I went t5 my plant growth changed drastically! Good luck and prepare for tannins from your driftwood making your water look brown.

If you are dosing ferts you shouldn't have to worry about algae too much.

Can we get a full tank shot?

Nothing has really changed since the pics on the first page yet, a new baby leaf or 2 on one of the swords, and teeny little fern babies on some of my java ferns. I'm still working on soaking out some of the tannins in my mopani, but I really like the way it looks, and hopefully, when it goes in my tank, I still feel the same way about it. XD

5 and 10 redone with eco complete

I changed out the gravel today in my 5 and 10 gallon tanks for eco complete. I love the way this stuff looks compared to my dumpy old gravel. Still have a few spots to smooth around, and water spots on my 5 gallon from some wild water that tried to escape the tank.
30924_748158272868_20704987_42584289_2517304_n.jpg

The anubias nana and onion plant in my 29G are really taking off!

And a full tank shot of the 20G with more new java fern leaves coming along every few days it seems. I apologize on behalf of my dojo loach being too lazy to pose.:( Also please excuse my laziness for not having a background on the 29G yet. You'll have to be satisfied with a poster of Rei Ayanami for the time being.

img_1109369_0_c48511e1c09cd1a5007f4eb1e01c3dc0.jpg

img_1109369_1_b7cf50e363c7923cdac495af59f4d532.jpg

img_1109369_2_2c9784946923d83bd444fe231e94ace3.jpg

Woooh! It's so simple yet so nice!!! :dope:

Thanks. I think the darker substrate really helps the green color of the plants to stand out.

I'm still afraid to cut the strings around the moss though. I'm not sure how well it will attach to the fake log, even with all the little grooves it has in it.

Thanks. I think the darker substrate really helps the green color of the plants to stand out.

I'm still afraid to cut the strings around the moss though. I'm not sure how well it will attach to the fake log, even with all the little grooves it has in it.

That's why I love using darker colors unless I'm going to a totally natural look.

If the moss hasn't rooted, try rubbing the log with a piece of sandpaper to give a rougher surface for the moss the attach to. I did that with my fake log and a few terra cotta pots and it worked. Then I went with real wood and ditched the pots. *lol*

That's why I love using darker colors unless I'm going to a totally natural look.

If the moss hasn't rooted, try rubbing the log with a piece of sandpaper to give a rougher surface for the moss the attach to. I did that with my fake log and a few terra cotta pots and it worked. Then I went with real wood and ditched the pots. *lol*

Thanks, I'll try that out if it hasn't attached when I do my wc friday. I like the log because it looks semi-natural and it creates a nice hidey-hole for the shrimp. If my store would order more mopani, I'd definitely look into that though, and set maybe 2 pieces up and moss them over for a more natural cave.

Do you have a Petco nearby? They should have mopani and for cheaper than in a privately owned store. If you look in the reptile section, it should be a $1 or 2 cheaper than in the fish section.

Do you have a Petco nearby? They should have mopani and for cheaper than in a privately owned store. If you look in the reptile section, it should be a $1 or 2 cheaper than in the fish section.

Haha, I'm a stockboy at Petsmart, so same deal. Also means I get first dibs if I eventually see another piece I like.:)

What fixtures are you going to get for the T5HOs? I really like your tank! That java moss is really cool!

I bought the Nova Extreme 2 bulb fixtures. One is 24 inches and the other is 30 inches, although the 30 is just a longer 24 with black plastic shading the bits where the lights aren't at, cause we all know, even though we aren't going to see it much anyways, our fish will know! *smirk*

I noticed the reflectors in the factory spec hoods I took out were just white plastic, and these are shiney metal.

I think the nice thing with this 2 bulb fixture is with 2 bulbs its high light, but if I find that a bit tough to deal with, I can always remove one of the bulbs.

I did a lot of planting yesterday and today. Since I'm new to planting, I decided to split up most of the plants I have to see where they do their best at. I put in M. Quadrifolia yesterday, and some bacopa carolinia and micro swords today.

The cycling in my 29g has been finished for a while, and I'm about halfways done stocking that tank. Waiting for some growth, my phoenix moss, and some better looking pieces of mopani to come into my work, then I will be adding 1 more tiger barb, and a few zebra loaches. I thought about yoyo loaches, but I think the smaller size of the zebras will be a bit better for this tank, and maybe let me get away with adding 1 or 2 more than what I could do with yoyos.

At the moment, I'm most pleased with my 10 gallon. I took the fishing line off the fake log yesterday and found that the moss has taken a good grip on it. I also revived what I think are the ludwigia repens I found in the creek, by letting them float for a few days to recover and then replant. They've really taken off, but I think my light may be a touch too low for the reds they are known for. They still look fantastic though.

New pictures as soon as the 'rents get home from a wedding reception in Indy.

I like your evangelion poster and your tanks. Especially the anubias on a rock. I'll try that some time.

Yeah, thanks. I like it too, especially seeing as its way easier to find a rock here than a small plug of driftwood. And nothing beats free rocks (My mom rescaped her little flower garden and was getting rid of a bunch of them). Lava rocks galore!

As for the fish, they don't seem stressed, so I guess they like the poster too. XD Yes, background...we'll get there eventually!

Well, the 'rents took longer to get back than I thought. New pictures tomorrow! Hopefully the cabomba manages to not fall apart before then!

5g

Took out the sword, and put in some Marsilea Quadrifolia, Micro Swords, and L. Repens. An Oto is currently on diatom duty and having the feast of his little life. Thankfully Alfred doesn't seem to put off by this, and is more concerned by the co2 bubbles that occasionally escape the bell.
29974_750990092878_20704987_42680029_6041252_n.jpg

Introducing the 29g

Here is my 29g that I know you've all been waiting with baited breath for. Har har.

Fauna: 6 Tiger barbs, 1 Flame Dwarf Gourami (I watched to make sure he was ok with the barbs. Oddly enough, he gives them more guff than they give him.), and 1 Black Skirt Tetra (a temporary resident).

Flora: Cabomba Caroliniana, Hygrophila Difformis, Java Fern, Anubias Barteri var. Nana, Amazon Swords (space fillers for now), Crinum Thaianum, and Marsilea Quadrifolia. At the top I have some (what I think are) L. Repens. I found that they recover to new water better if floated first, then planted. There is also a small java moss wall experiment under way.

The wood is mopani with the intent of hiding the co2 bell, and the attached java fern eventually hiding the sub filter.
29974_750990107848_20704987_42680030_867236_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom