Adventures in aquascaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I finally got my java moss in today and figured I might as well record my progress in a log, like so many of my fishy smelling elders before me. Some things might not work out, some might. (Hopefully they do! ;)) Life is an experiment! If anyone knows how to get multiple pictures in one post, I'd be appreciative, but for now I'll put them up one by one. This first one is the view of my whole 20 gallon. Plants are java ferns, java moss, amazon swords, and a marimo ball.

Fish are guppies, oto cats, and a friend's loaches while he is in Iraq. Background to be added when I stop being forgetful. The java ferns are attached to the fake log with a rubber band. I don't know if they will attach in the pattern I've put them in, but I think it will look nice if they do. The java moss is attached to the rock bottom I seperated from some plastic plants. Who said plastic can't be useful?:D
23652_740893631268_20704987_42379727_4021854_n.jpg

This is my 10 gallon full view. Same plants again except for the marimo ball. Fish are zebra danios, a black skirt tetra, oto cats, and a senegal bichir whose appropriate home will come when my tax refund does! I have another of those fake logs in this tank, but with this one I'm using the java moss on it, and I already love how much better it looks!
23652_740893616298_20704987_42379726_1485133_n.jpg

Awesome! I just started aquascaping a few weeks ago, so I'm right there with you.

How many Amazon Swords do you have, three? You will likely have to take out one when they reach their full size, my three alone dominate my 35 gallon.

Thats it so far. Gotta go clean my mess up and hope for the best. Hopefully I'll have some good news and updates as time goes by!

to put multiple pictures in, just copy the 'img' code from the hosting site you're using and paste them in the post. i believe you can have up to 8 in one post, but that includes smilies and things like that too

to put multiple pictures in, just copy the 'img' code from the hosting site you're using and paste them in the post. i believe you can have up to 8 in one post, but that includes smilies and things like that too

Ah...well now I feel a bit dumb, haha. That simple, eh? :cool:

Awesome! I just started aquascaping a few weeks ago, so I'm right there with you.

How many Amazon Swords do you have, three? You will likely have to take out one when they reach their full size, my three alone dominate my 35 gallon.

Yeah, 1 in my ten gallon, and 2 in the 20. I actually look forward to having to do some plant maintenance. The whole waiting game is killing me. :D

Some of the swords are sprouting little baby leaves in the middle, which I'm excited about, but the real test will be when the plants get bigger if they have the light they need for all leaves. I'd take a picture, but my mom absconded my camera for her trip to NC.

What I've noticed with my swords is a few days after the baby leaves sprout up, a few of the old leaves die off. Trim those off quick so the plant will give more nutrition to the baby leaves :)

I think i read somewhere that when the baby leaves start to form, the plant cuts off or minimizes the amount of nutrients that it sends to the big leaves and concentrates them on the smaller leaves... makes sense as to why the big leaves start going downhill once the small ones start

That would explain it. Funny that it only happens with my swords and crypts. With anything else that sends up new leaves I don't see the change in the older leaves.

What I've noticed with my swords is a few days after the baby leaves sprout up, a few of the old leaves die off. Trim those off quick so the plant will give more nutrition to the baby leaves :)

How far down the leaf do you trim it? Just the leaf, or the entire stalk the leaf is on?

Looking at my recent issue of TFH I realize where I got the name for the thread and now I feel like a foolish copycat. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? XD

I realize that having a sword in my 5 gallon is a bad idea as it will eventually grow way too big. At least its a good sign about the lighting abilities in my tank yes?

A bit of growth going down in my tanks.

My java fern has some little babies popping up.
img_1105838_0_0b328e9dea0ef4cd81f5d18543acd0ac.jpg

One of my swords has lots of little baby leaves.
img_1105838_1_61488a65234b0ca644c464072b53121d.jpg

And my mystery plant is obviously not receiving enough light, but I feel a small bit of success knowing that if a bit of it grows in my tank, then with right conditions it should do great.
img_1105838_2_764ae8e696e6d7ab7b7aa6627823e30a.jpg

Oh, yeah, I do notice the dirty outside of the tank with the fern. Cleaning will happen next week when I should have my eco complete and excel to start working with. Had a big day today setting up my new 29 gallon. Going fishless cycle this time around. And actual real mopani instead of fake decor! :O

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom