Caleb's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carpet huh? You're a brave soul:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had carpet in my old room :D it's called a bunch of towels around the tank for water changes so I don't make a pool on the carpet :)

Caleb

Following along.

If you can find the kuhlies I'd get them. A good sized group of them may be hard to find at once, but will look really good imo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had carpet in my old room :D it's called a bunch of towels around the tank for water changes so I don't make a pool on the carpet :)

Caleb

Looks like the bathroom floor of a hotel huh?? Towels everywhereeee

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay gang we have a mystery on our hands.

For some reason my pH has bottomed out in my 10g to 6.0???

My tap is always perfect 7 pH so this is quite confusing.

It's in a fishless cycle and I was waiting for the nitrites to bottom out because they were off the chart. My pH was low a few days before (like 6.6-6.8) but it's never been this low.

Low and behold my nitrites attempted to bottom out but only made it to 0.25ppm from 5.0+ppm.

I'm guessing the pH caused the cycle to stall? Probably going to do a big water change but hopefully won't shock my plants into oblivion with a pH swing from 6.0-7.0.

Really perplexing.

Caleb

It's in a fishless cycle and I was waiting for the nitrites to bottom out because they were off the chart. My pH was low a few days before (like 6.6-6.8) but it's never been this low.

Low and behold my nitrites attempted to bottom out but only made it to 0.25ppm from 5.0+ppm.

I'm guessing the pH caused the cycle to stall? Probably going to do a big water change but hopefully won't shock my plants into oblivion with a pH swing from 6.0-7.0.

Really perplexing.

Caleb

Odd indeed...

Sent via TIE Fighter

Really perplexing.

Caleb

The drop in pH may just be from the CO2 in your tank?

That's a good point. Though I figure I had enough surface agitation to diffuse any leftover. Maybe it's time for a tiny powerhead.

Caleb

No problem! It wouldn't hurt to do a little testing to see if that is the case.

I dont know, man..... Better get 2 to be safe.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well here's an update!

I have 100 pounds.. Of black diamond blasting sand! It's finally time for a very long overdue, substrate change in the 75g.

Discus are doing well! I plant in the substrate change in the morning then moving them back the next day. I'm going to draw out my ropefish to make sure he has no signs of columnaris on him. Cherry barb is MIA.

I've also ordered some goodies for the 10g. Brand new drop checker, bubble counter, and diffuser. All glass compared to the plastic I currently have.

Also getting a smaller powerhead to increase co2 dispersal and overall flow in the tank.

The blood part in the 40g has conquered the convict and reigns supreme in the 40g.

My saltwater anemone is weirdZ it gets really big at night after lights off but during the day is shrinks up.. Why??

Caleb

If you use a magnetic algae cleaner with the blasting sand don't get close to the sand. Its coal slag and is magnetic = scratched glass. Also when rinsing use hot water. Leave it sit for about 10 min and see if there is an oil slick on top of the water. Some brands use wd40 to keep moisture out of it because moisture will clog a sand blasting tip.

If you have no other photo synthetic life in salt tank turn your led down and see if nem inflates better during the lighting cycle.
Leds can very powerful compared to lighting many LFS use and an adjustment period is often needed.
Some blasting sands may have iron in them making particle magnetic.

If you have no other photo synthetic life in salt tank turn your led down and see if nem inflates better during the lighting cycle.
Leds can very powerful compared to lighting many LFS use and an adjustment period is often needed.
Some blasting sands may have iron in them making particle magnetic.

Thanks bandit, light is turned all the way down. Will probably help with the algae as well.

I got my new glass diffuser, powerhead, and bubble counter today. Drop checker is still on the way.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom