Caleb's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The mystery continues with this 10g planted.

On July 25th my pH was 6.0.

1. My tap is perfect 7.0
2. there is co2 to alter pH
3. No water changes have been done
4. An airstone and powerhead have been added since the 25th.

Now here's the stumper... My pH this morning... Is 8.0!! I triple tested! I'm absolutely stumped how it could even spike that high much less in a tank with co2 helping to lower pH.

Any ideas?

Caleb

Something's raising the hardness...what's the substrate? Anything in there that could raise the carbonate hardness, raising ph.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Something's raising the hardness...what's the substrate? Anything in there that could raise the carbonate hardness, raising ph.

Floromax substrate. the pH has been in the mid 6.0 range till I tested it today. I've never got a reading this high in any of my FW tanks.

Caleb

I also want to say this 10g tank is cycled. On the other hand my params are 0,0,0. BUT I've had nitrates before... I think I'm getting a false negative because this tank is so heavily planted.

Caleb

Wow your tanks are great! How do you keep the water so clear.
I clean my tanks once a week. Do you use UV sterilisers?

API master test Kit. Tested a couple times to make sure I wasn't seeing stuff.

Caleb

That is a pH roller coaster for sure. Just to rule out carryover, rinse the test tubes with tank water prior to testing. Thankfully ph is instant (not like the "nitrate shake").
You could try testing at various times during the day and logging the results. You may still see fluctuations depending on the CO2 or light cycle but hopefully you will see day to day consistency.

Caleb[/QUOTE
Do you use it to test your 10 gal salt tank pH? If you use a digital one for it might wanna test with thag.

Did the API go bad?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Caleb[/QUOTE
Do you use it to test your 10 gal salt tank pH? If you use a digital one for it might wanna test with thag.

Did the API go bad?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Doubt it. I have a FW and SW kit

Caleb

Brought home some goodies today!

3 golden zebra loaches
1 clown loach (hunting for more)
1 big ole scarlet hermit
A bunch of Tiger Lotus
2 bumble bee snails
1 nassarius(I can't spell it lol) snail.

Caleb

You got space for those clown loaches lol? Or did I somehow magically miss that you got a 150 gallon :lol:

You got space for those clown loaches lol? Or did I somehow magically miss that you got a 150 gallon :lol:

Since they grow super duper slow I got some years before an upgrade or they are sold. A 75g is plenty big enough for a couple.

Pics in a minute!

Caleb

Since they grow super duper slow I got some years before an upgrade or they are sold. A 75g is plenty big enough for a couple.

Pics in a minute!

Caleb
(y)(y)(y)(y)
Too many pass on clowns IMO.
You of all should have them and have great success with them.
You will do what is right in the long run and they do grow slow.
My 11 have never been in less then a 6 foot long tank(with me) and are still all less then 8 inches long(most well under 6 inches still at 10 - 15 years old!).
They are not the best fish when larger for planted tanks IMO,ask me how I know?
I think sini posted they can live to 30 years old!!!!:eek:

(y)(y)(y)(y)
Too many pass on clowns IMO.
You of all should have them and have great success with them.
You will do what is right in the long run and they do grow slow.
My 11 have never been in less then a 6 foot long tank(with me) and are still all less then 8 inches long(most well under 6 inches still at 10 - 15 years old!).
They are not the best fish when larger for planted tanks IMO,ask me how I know?
I think sini posted they can live to 30 years old!!!!:eek:

I do believe I heard him say that! He better be jumping for joy I got 4 loaches today lol and still hunting clowns.

Caleb

Good day overall aside from mowing over a yellow jackets nest! Ouch! Got anywhere from 4-6 confirmed stings.

Caleb

Good day overall aside from mowing over a yellow jackets nest! Ouch! Got anywhere from 4-6 confirmed stings.

Caleb

My mom mowed over a baldface hornet nest, anywhere from 13-22 confirmed stings. That's ouch. Still sorry for you though!

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Back
Top Bottom