Diary of a mad fish woman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta4me

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I've spoke about my new 55 gallon and had some questions for you guys on it and I really apreciate your advice. Well here she goes.

In this picture is the stand and canopy sanded down to bare wood. If you look inside, you'll see the cherry color stain it had on it. Also, proudly sitting next to it is my big bad fluval I got a smokin' deal on. WOOT!

img_938876_0_e94b0376f9746be7d6903ce5e4275eb3.jpg

Tank, looking like dookie.

img_938876_1_bd8db3b3da246d627534e9ea9b7a6aa6.jpg

As I mentioned, I had my husband sand it down and then paint it black. I worked for hours today cleaning the tank and painting the back of it black. Turned out pretty good I think. Started my fishless cycle tonight, took some water from my little 10G and added it to this water to help push things along a little bit.

img_938876_2_14b0122209c891922dd8d64f52f09f08.jpg

A nicer picture showing off the lights. It's FULL of air bubbles!!

img_938876_3_ee36533b98658e1c45efa2bd8d51d6e5.jpg

Now I need some decor and live stock. Here's what I have planned out when cycling is complete
1 - 12" pleco (friend rehoming his)
1 - blood red parrot
2 - german blue rams
4 - Angelfish
few fresh water clams
Do I have room for a small school of something that would get a long with the rest?

Thanks for looking and I will update this post when I have more stuff in it.

You might have room for a small school, but I don't know. The pleco is already going to be huge, the blood red parrots I think get up to like 8-10in. Then your 4 angels will get up to 6in each.

I think you might be able to fit maybe 5-6 neon tetras, something small like you said.

Your tank is looking good though, love the substrate and the painted on black background, looks good.

Thanks for the input and compliments Ben. I know that stock list isn't etched in stone, just what I've been tossing around in my head, and my dreams...did anyone else dream of fish when starting their tanks or just me....? LOL
I also really want a black ghost knife, they are so neato...but get really big also, and I'm not 100% sure I want to take on that pleco yet, *huff*

Have a good night!

Just a tip on your fishless cycle - you said you took some water out of another tank to help get it started. I don't think many nitrifying bacteria are in the water column normally. The cycle may go quicker if you take some filter media from an established tank and rinse it out in the new tank.

I also had a couple fish dreams when I was just entering the hobby and it was constantly on my mind! Also one nightmare, soon after an incident where a surge protector wasn't turned back on after tank maintenance. No fish were harmed, but I must've felt plenty guilty for a dream manifestation.

edit: One more note: I noticed the output from your canister is a good few inches below the surface. You may want to raise it up a bit to agitate the surface of the water which allows for better gas exchange.

Just a tip on your fishless cycle - you said you took some water out of another tank to help get it started. I don't think many nitrifying bacteria are in the water column normally. The cycle may go quicker if you take some filter media from an established tank and rinse it out in the new tank.

I was just going to second this...you need media and not water...no bacteria in the water. try to get some gravel, ornaments, anything that someone might have in a healthy aged tank that could speed up your cycle. It could always be returned down the road when it has done its job. :)

Tanks's looking pretty!

and my dreams...did anyone else dream of fish when starting their tanks or just me....? LOL!

Guilty as charged. Also, when I get on a roll, I get totally preoccupied with thoughts-of-tank, often for several days at a time much to the annoyance of my husband :)

It's a lovely setup by the way! I really like the cabinet. Good paint job too on the back! Black is a great choice.

Great looking tank!

Just wanted to mention in regards to your stocking list, that angels will eat neons. Might want to avoid that combo. ;)

Thanks Everyone! The media input is great and my 10G is well established so I will use the filter media from that. I run a small sponge and wisper on that one and always alternate changing the media and rinsing the sponge, so it is time for a media change! I also have some decor from it I can toss in there.
I'm also glad I'm not the only one having these strange fish dreams. A few nights ago my husband said I woke him up at about 4:30 and asked him if I should put a dwarf puffer tank in the bed room (probably from reading the posts on them). I don't remember this conversation what-so-ever! *blush*

Latest thoughts on stock.
1 - blood red parrot ( I can't seem to get away from this fish, they are so funky)
2 - Angelfish
1 - black ghost knife
2 - german blue rams
few fresh water clams
School of something that would get along with the rest - must do more research.
I hope to some day have some discus, but I'm not near ready. I ooh and ahh at them constantly though. So pretty.

Have a great day!

Updated pics today

Well, I'm still cycling :rolleyes:, but at least I have some decor in it, LOL. I went to a local rock yard and picked up a few unique boulder type rocks that I liked. I'm not doing a planted tank because I want to be able to focus more on the fish, not to mention, I can't keep plants alive outside of the water. *blush* So, I opted for the silk plants, and I think they look pretty good.
Thanks for looking.
img_945356_0_c8069433faf188fd375dac41fb5a9760.jpg

img_945356_1_f12928ded9076d6e26ed089e8aacddfb.jpg

img_945356_2_a192c0f542a1137d45e48e51061d6574.jpg

img_945356_3_62f72cdd75a7bce22da1f29dda0a5bff.jpg

img_945356_4_59bbfb3d6ab1e9fcd1eafd5601f30f64.jpg

img_945356_5_fa4b20444b3d34fa3b1cc4aa09536db9.jpg

img_945356_6_7d72522dc495396cdd0929809c68572b.jpg

I can't seem to find the information right now but I know you have to be careful with certain types of rock. There is a test somewhere on this forum....something about puttin Viniger(?) on the rock and watching for it to bubble.....I'm sure with a more deticated search you could find it

YOur tank looks nice. But do you know if those rocks are aquarium safe. I can't seemt o find it right now but there is a test you should do (if you havn't already) to be sure that the type of rock you have is aquarium safe. I think you put viniger(?) on it and watch for it to bubble- if it bubbles it isn't safe.... Maybe, some else knows?

- opps sorry about double posting I didn't think the first one worked

Thanks for the compliment! Yes they are safe, no crumbling, they aren't very porous and no bubbling with the vinegar test. I scrubbed the bejesus out of them and baked them for about 20 minutes and scrubbed/rinsed again.
They have not affected the PH of my water at all. They are very solid, boulder type rocks.

Thanks, getting soooooo close to having fish in there. My nitrites made a significant drop over the past two days.

Are you adding ammonia, or something else to encourage bacteria growth?

The little critters need something to munch on.

BTW Your tank looks awesome.

Yes, I've been cycling with ammonia for the last few weeks and for the last week I've had to dose daily and just recently seeing my nitrites drop. Thanks for the compliment. I'm so excited, all my patience is starting to pay off.

I forgot to mention.

My blood parrot loves to eat little fish.

But he/she is slow.... can't catch the tiger barbs I have in the tank and they make for a lovely school with 5 or more. A treat to watch!

Congrats on the nitrite drop... I'm on a schedule similar to yours - my nitrates have been peaked and may be on the way down - WOOHOO!!!

Your stocking list looks great!

Looking forward to seeing it with fish!

Back
Top Bottom