Finally back to fish keeping!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rysaquarium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ello there fish people!

I kept fish throughout my life until 2013. Busy with school and various other responsibilities i safely donated my tank and fish to a friend who still has them to this day. It was a 55g planted freshwater tank with a school of corys, some plecos and various shrimp. I absolutely adored that tank and still miss it. Lately I've really been considering starting up a smaller tank that's low maintenance, but beautiful and keeps me busy a couple days a week.

One thing i miss the most about having a tank in my room is listening to the water fall from the filter at night before bed. It always relaxed me during stressful times. So with that in mind i took out my 10g tank that served as a quarantine for my previous tank, dusted it out, cleaned it and began the long trek of cycling the tank. Talk about nostalgia!

So my setup will be as follows:

Tank and Decor:
10 Gallon Tank
Fake plants (for now at least)
Gravel bottom (white & brown)
Rock Cave decor
Real Drifwood

Filtration:
2 Aquaclear 20G (No such thing as too much filtration)
Aquaclear pre filter sponge x2

Other:
API freshwater Masters test kit

I've always believed in fish-less cycles, so I'm going to stay true to that. One other thing I'm going to need is a new heater, though the temperature Im going to have will be quite low consistency will be beneficial to the fish once they arrive in their new home.

Okay so, the stock I'm looking to have will be 5 white cloud minnows to start, then add 3 more a few weeks later. Since white clouds require relatively low temperatures I think I'm going to only have the white clouds occupy the tank.

So this weekend I'm gonna gather some of the final supplies that I need and finally fill the tank and begin the cycle. Wish me luck! :dance:

-Ryan

Welcome! And where are pics of the tank?! I love seeing everyone's setups!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good luck, Ryan! I am back after 22 years away from hobby. :p lol
Currently have a 2 gal drum bowl with a Betta, 2 RCS, & a Nerite snail.
Have a 5 gal rectangle about to be set up as a natural planted tank a la Walstad.
Wish ME luck, hahahahaha.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. :)

Today I messed around with one of my aquaclear 20's to accommodate a plant (Lucky Bamboo) Basically, the bottom has bio media, then the plant, a small sponge beside the plant and then finally a small sponge strip for final mechanical filtering.

The other Aquaclear has the regular sponge filter, then two bio media inserts (no carbon)

The waters looking cloudy this morning from the beginning of the cycle (day two.) Current readings are:

PH - 7.6 (Hopefully it drops a bit once the driftwood has been in there for a while)
Ammonia - 2PPM
Didn't test nitrite or nitrate considering it's day two.

Also I've decided to grow 2 anubias and one Java fern, since they are very hardy plants and I have experience growing them in the past. I'll add those further into the cycle though.

I'll post some pictures later today.

Take care
-Ryan

Last edited:
My 29 bowfront
5 head and taillight tetras
3 buenos ares tetras
1 honey gourami
1 German blue ram
Java fernImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455232930.744366.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back