How do i kbow how many fish i can have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

umramgirl86

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! I currently have a 10 gallon tank. I'm looking into getting a larger tank (between 40-55 gallons). How do I know how many fish I can have? I know it depends on the size of the fish and stuff? But what is a good rule of thumb?

Well, for example, I've heard some say "one gallon for every inch of fish" but if I had 50 one-inch fish in a 50-gallon tank, that sounds like a LOT!

That rule should never have been "created". It just doesn't hold true and you should never use it to stock a tank.

That's why we say there is no rule, because that one is too ridiculous to even consider. ;)

In my book, there is only one "Rule of Thumb", and that is NEVER buy on impulse. I can't count how many times I've been in a LFS, seen something really cool looking, only to get home & research and discover some special need/food/size/aggression/etc that I don't want in my tank.

Stocking a tank is almost an artform, and any great artist will tell you that the hardest thing to learn is when to stop.

Haha this is how its done. Tell us what fish ur interested in and we tell u if its do-able, and the fish are compatable and would be happy in a 10 gal

They need to have enough space physically and you need to be able to keep the water quality high enough (under 20ppm BEFORE a water change). That's it.

Back
Top Bottom