Just got a 46G bowfront.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBrods

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got a 46g bowfront tank. My filter will be the Penguin bio-wheel 350. I'm going to get 2 or 3 Freshwater Redtailed barracuda. I'll probably put those last . I'll start with a couple catfish to help clean the tank and slowly add other fish. Who here has these type of Barracuda and could you tell me what YOUR preference is? Gravel, stone or sand... Color... Backdrop- plain or do you have a picture? I have a nice stone and I want a nice sized driftwood. Should I have other things for the other fish? This will be the longest and hardest stage for me until I can figure out what I want and where to get it.... Thanks in advance!

No problem! I mean, algae takes that long to develop after the initial diatom bloom, so no algae no algae eaters!

:D

You can't put catfish in until you have algae (3-4 months)

:O

I have to disagree with you here. For one, if you get cat fish or algae eaters you should never depend on the algae available in the tank to sustain them, this is how many people go "my algae eaters/plecos always die"

You can feed them a variety of foods like sprulina or algae wafers made specifically for bottom feeders, and many also enjoy vegetables like zucchini. My bristlenose pleco and oto's were among the first fish that I started my 29 gallon tank with. They get a slice of zuchini one night a week and spirulina wafers after dark about 3-4 other nights of the week.

+1 on Ashley's.

My tank is fairly new, maybe a month or so and there are no algae in it. All the plants that I have placed in my tank has all been nipped and killed by my other fishes. yet I managed to keep my pleco alive by feeding it algae wafers and it loves it!

Also don't get bottom feeders just for algae control, because you may be dissapointed. Even with all my "algae eaters" I still scrub algae. I just happen to have a soft spot for bottom feeders.

I would recomend Pool Filter Sand and a plain background. But just my personal opinion.

Yes Ashley, but a lot of Plecos and other algae eaters are known to ignore wafers.

Boom.

:)

QP

My little pleco ignored the wafers for about 3 days. Then he just latched on to one. It took him a while to discover the driftwood too.

QuietPlotter said:
Yes Ashley, but a lot of Plecos and other algae eaters are known to ignore wafers.

Boom.

:)

QP

I have never had a pleco ignore a good quality wafer. If you alternate algae wafers with zuchini, cucumbers, etc. Then there shouldn't be a problem. I've kept plecos for 17 years they are my favorite freshwater fish. And a pleco is always one of the first fish I add to a new tank.

I feed plecos algae wafers, cucmber, peas, zucchini.

Yet despite alternating foods (Had 3 plecos?) they never ate algae wafers, so that point is coming from personal expirience, and from google, many more have that situation too.

Not sure if Hikari is good IYO but it is IMO.

Fishkeeper88 said:
i would like to know if this will be a live plant aquarium? if so i have some really cool ideas.

I want some live plants, yes

?????

well i can show you what i have learned over the past few years and design you a very low maintnance and healthy system. i must ask an honest question. are you willing to spend money to get to a effective and low maintnance system? it will save you money and effort in the long run and be a very beautiful addition to your home or where ever the tank is.

there are different aspects of this hobby to think about. such as the fact that some systems work better than others. also the quality of the parts of the setup. if you just want something cheap and simple usually you may have trouble with efficiancy and the quality of the parts. usually the more time you spend and the more money you spend the better the system. take for example a canister filter compaired to a hang on back filter. also the substrait you will need. some work better than others and often have a price difference. lights are another point.

well i can show you what i have learned over the past few years and design you a very low maintnance and healthy system. i must ask an honest question. are you willing to spend money to get to a effective and low maintnance system? it will save you money and effort in the long run and be a very beautiful addition to your home or where ever the tank is.
I would like to here some of your ideas. I have a few tanks with varying degrees of upkeep.

Back
Top Bottom