maxwell1295's 55 Gallon Mbuna Tank (updated 12/4/06)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I finally got my act together and got this thing up and running. After moving a month ago, it took some time for me to get all of my established tanks settled before tackling this new tank. In the interim, I started (2) 20 gallon QT/holding tanks for the fish while I was getting the 55g set up. As of right now, I have a total of 20 fish. I expect that number to remain the same. I have quite a few small juvies so my bio-load should be pretty light.

Stocklist is as follows:

- 6 Labidochromic caerulus (Yellow Lab) juvies about 1" to 1.25"
- 5 Metriaclima estherae (Red Zebra) juvies the same size as the Labs
- 4 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) sub adults about 2.5"
- 4 Pseudotropheus socolofi albino (Albino Pindani) same size as the Maingano
- 1 Synodontis eupterus

After setting up the tank, I decided to introduce the fish one group at a time, starting with the juvies. I will be adding the Ps. socolofi this evening and the M. cyaneorhabdos tomorrow. Here is what I have so far....

First up, the Red Zebras (were added on Saturday):
img_697653_0_91c22fb579a9cd1005a24c3c9811e4fe.jpg

I then added the Labs on Sunday (yesterday):
img_697653_1_17b3c5576ef6f5c526b47cc538268e21.jpg

A few more shots of the young juvies:
img_697653_2_96c4cba6faf4e787ba03361143f1d116.jpg

img_697653_3_e81ac46c91483c5268c5f04f78af3c38.jpg

Left side of the tank:
img_697653_4_57903b81b824c65837427caa4a22c237.jpg

Right side of the tank:
img_697653_5_659620cf391e13909f83f61a2eb7e168.jpg

Angle shot:
img_697653_6_c5940b6d26ef1d21782734d28653d916.jpg

Head on shot:
img_697653_7_16f17ead6ecba5d901d08649922f4397.jpg

Specifics:
55 Gallon AGA
Filtration: Eheim 2217, Fluval 304
Lighting: Odyssea 260W (65w x 4), 2-12000K, 2 Actinic, 4 Moonlights
Heater: Visi-Therm Stealth 250W
Background: Black latex paint
Substrate: 3M ColorQuartz S-Grade Black
Rockwork: Handpicked from side of the road off I-81 in Virginia :D

That looks fantastic! I really dig the look you've created with those nice large rocks. Good job!

looks awesome!!! i would say keep building up the rocks though untill is is almopst towering out of the tank!! those fish will be very happy. espically with the heavy filtration u have.

Looks great maxwell! Your stocking list looks great too....I'm still queaking mine. :) I'd love to see pictures of the socolofi albino...I really want some for my tank!

the tank looks good. it'll look grand once it ages and algae grows on the rocks, catering to both the mbuna's nutritional needs and your aesthetic needs!

Thanks for the comments guys....

Cafe Jeff said:
How have you made it all black? Jeff
Looks great!
I used black latex paint applied with a roller for the background. The substrate is black 3M Colorquartz. You can read more about it here.

cappieBridget said:
awesome! So did you move to a bigger place to fit all of your tanks? :wink:
Yes, I did.....and it's a good thing because I needed the space!

cappieBridget said:
Looks great maxwell! Your stocking list looks great too....I'm still queaking mine. :) I'd love to see pictures of the socolofi albino...I really want some for my tank!
I just added the Socolofi this evening.

Here is a shot of the new additions. I'll post some more pics of the Socolofi when I take more of them...

img_698072_0_f0ffd56a0cd946c5fa6b198a53f95728.jpg

I love your tank! I can only hope that mine looks half as good.

Those Albino socolofis are gorgeous. You made a nice selection of fish! Keep the pictures coming..:)

that tank will be very crouded once they start growing a litte. have u thought about what u are going to do once they are full grown?

What else.....get a bigger tank of course!!! :lol:

Seriously, the fish get along great right now. Once they get bigger I'm sure there will be some aggression. I little light overcrowding will curtail some of it. I have more than enough filtration to handle it...

There is still one more fish that hasn't been put in there yet. That is my badass Maingano male and he is an absolutely beast! I'll be putting him in tomorrow. When he goes in, the party is over.

Those rocks make the tank look really cool!

I added a few more fish today so my stocking for this tankis complete. I haven't taken any pics lately, but will try to get some new ones up by the weekend. The first new addition is 1 more Red Zebra. He is about 1/2 the size of the juvies in the tank, but he is spunky enough to hang with much bigger fish. No fear! The other new additions are 2 Synodontis sp. catfish. I can't figure out what they are yet, but they look a lot like the Synodontis robbianus. Then again, they could be some sort of hybrid.

The tank looks pretty much the same except the big male Socolofi has "redecorated" the entire left corner of the tank. The male Maingano has done the same to the right corner, but not to the extent that the Socolofi has. I'm ready to get that guy a contruction permit....he's trying to difg his way to China!

I've also got some diatoms growing in on the rocks, which really gives them some character.

The updated stocklist is as follows:

- 8 Labidochromic caerulus (Yellow Lab) juvies
- 5 Metriaclima estherae (Red Zebra) juvies
- 4 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos (Maingano)
- 4 Pseudotropheus socolofi albino (Albino Pindani)
- 2 Synodontis sp.

A few updated pics...

I added a little more rockwork....I still need to add some more. On the right hand side of the tank, you can see my big Socolofi's redocorating work. The substrate was pretty much level before he started digging. I'm gonna have to get him a hardhat!

I also painted the green Eheim tubing black to help in blend a little better with the background.

I have one of the female Maingano's in a 20g holding tank waiting for her to spit her first brood of fry and another female I discovered was holding too just this evening. My male has been getting busy. He does more than enough courting so I guess it's finally paying off for him.

Albino Socolofi aka "Digger"
img_727669_0_b8d6d197623287c37e8303e29fffbc15.jpg

Maingano (aka "Studmuffin)"
img_727669_1_0c8f6e7ad7059d7b1be594ec97a1f7dd.jpg

Those look fantastic! So you painted the tubing inside the tank? What kind of paint can you use for that?

Back
Top Bottom