My 29 Gallon tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought this tank what seems like forever ago. In reality probably less than a year.
Current homeowners are as followed:
2 German Blue Rams. (bought 2 online asking for a pair but got 2 males)
7 Serpae tetras.
1 upside down catfish
1 otocinclus.
2 golden wonder killies.

I just rearranged my tank some as there were even more plants before, it got very tedius to clean and at least now they've got some more free swimming space.
This is my only up and running tank at the moment but I've got an empty 46 Bowfront and 10 hospital tank.
Only thing stopping me there is having a negative balance on my debit card...

So yeah! I don't think I'm overstocked, all fish seem happy except one of the GBR's is picked on by the other. I'd love to swap for a female.

Attachments

• image-412500735.jpg
    image-412500735.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 194
Sounds overstock no offense but nice tank!!! 1 inch per gallon rule i don't know how blue Rams grow to though. Cool tank overal

Nice tank! Your going to have big problems with the two male gbrs though, it sucks you got two males.
Fishie said:
Sounds overstock no offense but nice tank!!! 1 inch per gallon rule i don't know how blue Rams grow to though. Cool tank overal
The inch per gallon rule was proven to be innefective.

George9 said:
Nice tank! Your going to have big problems with the two male gbrs though, it sucks you got two males.

The inch per gallon rule was proven to be innefective.

Agreed, toss the inch per gallon rule out the window. It can tell you a 10inch fish is ok in a 10g tank.... Which we all know won't happen ;)

Your tank is so colorful!!! I love the rock cave things. And i hope the rams go well, keep us updated?

I think the oto would appreciate a couple buddies.

Edit: you can post to classifieds or craigslist about swapping for a female! There may be someone in your area that has one.

Completely forgot about my 2 Golden wonder killies :/
Based on the colour schema I would have to go for a male and a female, do at least no drama there.

As far as space is concerned, I think I'm pretty set. All fish have a nice space to themselves, and the Serpae tetras have their own pecking order. Nothing bad to report with them, although I am a little disappointed by how disjointed they are. I was hoping for a real "school". But these guys maybe stay in a group of 4 and 3 or so.

I will look into an ad on craigslist, would want nothing more than to help him out. Breaks my heart to see the colour difference between the two sometimes.

I COULD go for another otto. Really enjoy them. Mini pleco's all day every day.

Also! The caves are cichlid stones I bought online. Cheapest ones I could find, they are pricy!

In biology, any group of fish that stay together for social reasons are said to be shoaling (pronounced /ˈʃoʊlɪŋ/), and if, in addition, the group is swimming in the same direction in a coordinated manner, they are said to be schooling with that being said serpae,bleeding heart, black phantom tetras and many others are shoaling tetras keep loose groups of these guys. tight schooling tetras some examples are rummy nose,ember tetras, cardinals,neons,etc keep lots of these guys to simulate a school they would not act or behave as natural in smaller (shoaling groups) for example in my 40 gallon breeder I have 20 rummynose who follow each other everywhere all day makes me dizzy at times lol! Oh just a side note there is a few territorial tetra species that are not fond of there own kind so research carefully before you buy I made that mistake with the emperor tetra they can be mean to each other.

Oh my Lord :/
Just got home to find the weaker one dead on the bottom.. I honestly did not see that coming in the slightest. I've had them both for approximately 5 months.. Indeed a sad day :(
Least he won't get picked on in fish heaven.
Lesson learned, poor little guy.
Least now I can set my sights on a female.

On a side note, I appreciate your input on the schooling business. I guess what I was leaning towards was the tight knit groups like cardinals or rummynose.
Can't say I don't like my Serpae though.

Crew said:
Oh my Lord :/
Just got home to find the weaker one dead on the bottom.. I honestly did not see that coming in the slightest. I've had them both for approximately 5 months.. Indeed a sad day :(
Least he won't get picked on in fish heaven.
Lesson learned, poor little guy.
Least now I can set my sights on a female.

On a side note, I appreciate your input on the schooling business. I guess what I was leaning towards was the tight knit groups like cardinals or rummynose.
Can't say I don't like my Serpae though.

Serpae's are awesome tetras I'm so sorry to hear about your loss:( hopefully you'll find a mate for the lone guy. I just figured I'd explain the difference so if you wanted a tight group of fish you'd know what to look for friend best of luck!

Discusapisto said:
Serpae's are awesome tetras I'm so sorry to hear about your loss:( hopefully you'll find a mate for the lone guy. I just figured I'd explain the difference so if you wanted a tight group of fish you'd know what to look for friend best of luck!

Much appreciated. I've got a 46 Gallon that I think could really do well with a nice big group of cardinals!
And yes, it's so horribly ironic that the day after I create this post something happens.

Crew said:
Much appreciated. I've got a 46 Gallon that I think could really do well with a nice big group of cardinals!
And yes, it's so horribly ironic that the day after I create this post something happens.

Hey it happens to the best of us it's part of the territory gotta love those fish lol!

Nice tank! Looks nice :)

Its' not overstocked, however the syno cat may outgrow the tank. The inch per gallon rule doesn't work...

Well...

:nono:

Ya see...

:huh:

...it has a lot of faults. Nuff said.

I was informed that the upside down cat only grows to about 4 inches.

Even if right now I went by the gallon/inch rule I'd be at around 20 out of 29. Max.

Thank you all mucho for your input!

Update: I was thinking about maybe adding a small school of cardinals/neons.
Anyone got a good estimate of how many or if they would fit?

If you rehome the upside down cat, you could add a couple more otos and maybe 6-8 cardinals or neons. I'd choose cardinals just because I think they are better looking.

severum mama said:
If you rehome the upside down cat, you could add a couple more otos and maybe 6-8 cardinals or neons. I'd choose cardinals just because I think they are better looking.

I'm under the impression that the upside down cat maxes at 4 inches. That's still going to be a size issue when adding other fish?

Advice taken, however. I will rethink what I'm doing if that's the case.

No worries, it's just my opinion based on stocking for the long term. I have many overstocked tanks, but they are temporary. I tend to err on the side of caution when recommending stock lists to members for the long term. Like I said, just an opinion. Merry Christmas! :)

Very very true. Alright, I think my best bet would be to wait until my 46 is up and running. Thank you very much for your input :)
And a Merry Christmas to you too!

Back
Top Bottom