my 5.5 gallon guppy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's my tank. I have 3 females and one male in there right now.

Very nice. Looks like the one in the 3rd picture is vey pregnant.

skenny said:
Very nice. Looks like the one in the 3rd picture is vey pregnant.

Yeah, she is. Lol. I made another thread asking if she was. XD I can't wait to tell my mom that she's pregnant. My mom doesn't really want baby fish. Lol. Thanks for the compliment. I didn't have a good shot of the tank without picture effect. I will take one now.

Here are some pictures of the whole tank without effects:
I also adds a picture of the other female that is super unphotogenic. She goes and hides behind the mountain thing when I turn the light on and when she hears the beep of my camera. So when it was off I snuck up and turned it on really fast and got a picture of her.

Is that a fluval chi? How do you like it? One of the guys at my lfs keeps telling me I should set one up for a nice betta but I'm running low on space and money. Good investment?

Very nice tank.

Dangora: I have heard nothing but great reviews from fluval chi owners, except for the fact that it costs a pretty penny.

Dangora: I have heard nothing but great reviews from fluval chi owners, except for the fact that it costs a pretty penny.

Oh the petsmart near me had one on clearance for $49.99, which I thought was a decent for an all in one type deal.

I really like my fluval chi. Lighting sucks but it is a beautiful tank.

Can you replace the led's?

I'm into electronics so I'd probably mod mine anyways :lol:

Dangora said:
Is that a fluval chi? How do you like it? One of the guys at my lfs keeps telling me I should set one up for a nice betta but I'm running low on space and money. Good investment?

Ya its a chi. I wouldn't get it if I knew how it was before. It has no lid so fish can (mine actually have) jump out. The filter is terrible and never gets any dirt from the bottom. I had to add a HOB one. The light is not very bright, and is not good for plants.

I am in love with mine, It's a bit expensive but it's gorgeous!! Much cooler then a normal 5 gallon. Only thing I can complain about is that some of my fish have jumped out of the tank and died since it doesn't have a hood.

*Edit*

Ya its a chi. I wouldn't get it if I knew how it was before. It has no lid so fish can (mine actually have) jump out. The filter is terrible and never gets any dirt from the bottom. I had to add a HOB one. The light is not very bright, and is not good for plants.

I agree the filter isn't very good but since I have to regularly top off the water I just quick suck anything off the gravel a few times a week. I love my light, the little brown box it comes with to put in the middle I have stocked with tons of plants. I don't even give them fertilizer and they are thriving!!!

I got mine on sale from petsmart last year, used it for about 10 months and the filter crapped out, so now it's sitting empty till I get an internal filter for it. :)

That little tank is going to be way overstocked as soon as that guppy pops, you have a growout tank for the fry?

jetajockey said:
I got mine on sale from petsmart last year, used it for about 10 months and the filter crapped out, so now it's sitting empty till I get an internal filter for it. :)

That little tank is going to be way overstocked as soon as that guppy pops, you have a growout tank for the fry?

Why not get a HOB? They are a lot cheaper, and if not better, the same performance. I added a HOB to mine. It is working a lot better than the stock filter.

Seems like the perfect tank for a sponge filter. What kind of filter is stock with the chi?

And I personally would go to the local glass place and have a custom piece cut (leave a little over hang) and maybe put rubber on the bottom side to keep it from sliding.

Because a HOB is hard to hide and makes the tank look silly. Not really into the sponge bubbling thing, Lord knows I have at least 30 of them bubbling away in the garage as it is. The idea is to keep it looking natural, I may just set it up with no filtration at all and some live plants, just need to get a hanging light for it.

jetajockey said:

Why not get a HOB? They are a lot cheaper, and if not better, the same performance. I added a HOB to mine. It is working a lot better than the stock filter.
Yes, I have a grow out tank ready. But my mom doesn't want us to have a bunch of baby fish. So we will be giving away and selling a lot of them. We may also be shipping them for really good prices. My neighbor has a ten gallon tank that has frogs in it right now. They are gonna rehome the frogs and get fish in a while. They said that they wanted to get fish because they saw ours and really liked them. I told them that I will have guppy fry soon, and they asked if they could have any. So I will be giving some to them too.

Yes, I have a grow out tank ready. But my mom doesn't want us to have a bunch of baby fish. So we will be giving away and selling a lot of them. We may also be shipping them for really good prices. My neighbor has a ten gallon tank that has frogs in it right now. They are gonna rehome the frogs and get fish in a while. They said that they wanted to get fish because they saw ours and really liked them. I told them that I will have guppy fry soon, and they asked if they could have any. So I will be giving some to them too.
That's cool. If you plan to ship them/rehome them they really need to grow out a bit, at least a month to two months, otherwise they are almost guaranteed to get eaten when they are tossed into someone's community tank. If they are aware of needing to keep the fish separate or alone temporarily then it'd be fine, but in general most shops and people want fish that are big enough to add to the tank. Some people might take them and use them as feeders also, so if you don't want them going that route be careful who you give them to.

jetajockey said:
Because a HOB is hard to hide and makes the tank look silly. Not really into the sponge bubbling thing, Lord knows I have at least 30 of them bubbling away in the garage as it is. The idea is to keep it looking natural, I may just set it up with no filtration at all and some live plants, just need to get a hanging light for it.

Good point. I might get an internal filter for mine because the HOB I have is kinda big, and it does make the tank not look natural. What filter are you thinking of getting? I don't mind switching the filter to an internal because the HOB I have on it right now came with my ten gallon. But it wasn't enough for that imo so I upgraded it. So there is no lost money if I do get an internal filter for it. Would there be a way to conceal the filter?

Plus a HOB pretty much ruins the whole flow of the chi, which was pretty much a big development point for it. It kills the feng shui, if you know what I mean. I'm pretty much not convinced on this. Not impressed by the Fluval Edge either :ermm:

I don't know about replacing them. They are built into the filter. (I don't know ANYTHING about wiring, etc :) lol) But I love the clean lines of the tank. And I actually like that it is an open top tank. I enjoy the soft sound of the waterfall.

Back
Top Bottom