My 5 Gallon Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is my 5 gallon. I have dwarf sag, crypts, water sprite, and some tall grass plant I forget the name (it's not any type of val). There are also a couple anubias types.

I have 6 Emerald rasboras, 1 fire diano and a balloon redeye tetra.

I have to figure out a different place to put the intake for the filter. It really takes away from the tank where it is at now.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1469551722550.jpg
    1469551722550.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 150
Great example of a planted tank, looks really natural. Can you suggest any hardy plants or grasses?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great example of a planted tank, looks really natural. Can you suggest any hardy plants or grasses?

What has worked for me in a low tech tank is what I listed above, as well as amazon sword and jungle val.

I have tried some stem plants, but I think they needed co2, which is why they didn't make it.

Thanks for the help. Its a low tech planted tank that im looking to keep. I think I will get some java moss, and water sprite next. Your tank is a great example of how good low tech can look.

Thank you, TropicalG.

There is a bit of algea that I'm trying to get to go away. Once that's gone the tank will be better to look at. Lol

Unfortunately I dont know much about removing algae. Good luck in removing it though and keep up the good work.

Thank you, TropicalG.

There is a bit of algea that I'm trying to get to go away. Once that's gone the tank will be better to look at. Lol

If you have any BBA, get a syringe and put some Flourish Excel or glut directly on the algae. This is especially useful if there is any algae on plant leaves. Frequent water changes will help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have any BBA, get a syringe and put some Flourish Excel or glut directly on the algae. This is especially useful if there is any algae on plant leaves. Frequent water changes will help too.

Which algea is BBA?

I have green algea I think. It's bright green and peels off in sections. And the brown stuff that rubs off easily.

I have green algea I think. It's bright green and peels off in sections. And the brown stuff that rubs off easily.

The bright green stuff could be BGA (blue green algae) or Cyanobacteria.
The brown stuff sounds like diatoms.

BBA (black beard algae) appear as small tufts on plants and hardscape. Can be gray, greenish, reddish.

Definitely do not have that kind.

The bright green stuff could be BGA (blue green algae) or Cyanobacteria.
The brown stuff sounds like diatoms.

Definitely green algae and diatoms. I looked both up to see what it looks like and that's both kinds.

Do you know a solution to clearing the green algae?

You need to confirm if it's green algae versus blue green algae. They are quite different.
Does it appear as a thin film, draping over rocks, plants, and driftwood? Is it easy to remove? If you answered yes to both of these, then it's most likely blue green algae or Cyanobacteria. Physical removal will reduce the spread of this nuisance but may not remove it completely. I've resorted to using antibiotics to rid my tank of this (API Erythromycin).
If it's a species of green algae, then reduction of light may help. I had a bad case of hair algae in a shrimp tank and reducing the lighting helped tremendously. If it is green dust algae (GDA) or green spot algae (GSA), light reduction and/or increasing phosphate levels worked for me.

Here is the algae I am dealing with.

Attachments

• 1469663730359.jpg
    1469663730359.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 1469663740892.jpg
    1469663740892.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 75
Here is the algae I am dealing with.

Yep, that looks like BGA. While doing water changes, you should be able to siphon out most of it. That will help. Also, it's a good idea to thoroughly rinse out the water change bucket before refilling it with the new water for the tank.

Yep, that looks like BGA. While doing water changes, you should be able to siphon out most of it. That will help. Also, it's a good idea to thoroughly rinse out the water change bucket before refilling it with the new water for the tank.

Is there anything you suggest to was the bucket out with?

Back
Top Bottom